none
Anyone else having recent problems with NNTP bridge access?

General discussion

• For the past couple of days my newsreader has been having problems retrieving the forums. It just seems to stall for ages and eventually gives rise to an "operation timed out" or a 503 "command not performed" error.

Is anyone else having the same/similar issue?

Thursday, March 30, 2017 1:58 PM

All replies

• My NNTP Bridge sometimes has no responding and fails to connect. Generally it still works.

Alexis Zhang

| For the past couple of days my newsreader has been having problems retrieving the forums. It just seems to stall for ages and eventually gives rise to an "operation timed out" or a 503 "command not performed" error.

Thursday, March 30, 2017 2:14 PM
  • Maybe the TechNet bridge will suffer the same fate that the Answers bridge has

C.f.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/feedback/forum/fdbk_commsite-bug/performance-problems-with-this-website-please/b6680081-6394-4511-a3a4-01375394962d?page=23#LastReply

<quotes>
    engineers decommissioned the NNTP Bridge
    too much work and interferes with their schedule
    </quotes>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:12 PM
  • Connection through the bridge has not been perfect for the last few days. It's a little funny, because it is a little off and on. That is, it work fine for some time, and then it stalls again. It's more off than on, that's for sure.

I have observed this state for about 40 hours now. I think that is a little too short time to proclaim the end of the world. Or the NNTP bridge. There have been longer periods where the NNTP bridge has been out of order and come back to life.

Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@sommarskog.se

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:03 PM
  • >Connection through the bridge has not been perfect for the last few days. It's a little funny, because it is a little off and on. That is, it work fine for some time, and then it stalls again. It's more off than on, that's for sure.

That matches my experience too.

I've just done a few "Prefetch newsgroup list" operations from the bridge UI and it's returned wildly differing results - 200 ...
    1206 newsgroups, well short of what it had before.

I notice that during that operation it logged the following:

Error during GetAvailableForums (Msdn: Exception:
    Type System.ServiceModel.FaultException
    Source: mscorlib
    Stack-Trace:

Server stack trace:    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins,
    Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
       at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]:    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.IForumsService.GetAllForumNewsGroupsByBrand(String brandName, Int32
    pageIndex, Int32 pageSize)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.Forums.ForumsServiceClient.GetAllForumNewsGroupsByBrand(String brandName, Int32
    pageIndex, Int32 pageSize)
       at
    CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass30.<GetAllForumNewsGroupsByBrand>b__2e()
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.RetryCall[TResult](Func`1 func, UInt32
    retryCount)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.GetAllForumNewsGroupsByBrand(String brandName,
    Int32 pageIndex, Int32 pageSize)
       at
    CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.<>c__DisplayClass5`1.<GetAvailableForums>b__4(Int32
    index, Int32 batchSize)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.BuildResultsInBatch[T,T2](Func`2 converter,
    Func`3 generator)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.WebServiceDataSource.MicrosoftForumsServiceProvider.GetAvailableForums[T](String brand, Func`2
    converter, Action`2 progress)
       at CommunityForumsNNTPServer.ForumDataSource.LoadNewsgroupsToStream(Action`1 groupAction)

Thursday, March 30, 2017 10:16 PM
  • I've just done a few "Prefetch newsgroup list" operations from the bridge UI and it's returned wildly differing results - 200 ...
    1206 newsgroups, well short of what it had before.

This morning it's returned 2060, and as far as I can see, it seems to be working OK again (finger's crossed).

Dave

Friday, March 31, 2017 7:30 AM
  • You might have come in one of these windows were it is working for a few minutes. When I'm trying to get the group counts right now, it stalled on the first one, and I was just told that "Passport Header Not Found".

Anyway, I mailed fissues and got this prompt response: Our engineering team is aware of the issue and actively working for the fix.

Friday, March 31, 2017 7:59 AM
  • Yeah, seems to be broken again for me now.
    Friday, March 31, 2017 2:50 PM
  • I've now been using the bridge for 45 minutes with any problems at all, so I would say that the problem is resolved. (Well, almost. It fails on a specific forum, but something appears to fishy there: The newsreader reports 75 unread posts, and this forum normally only has 10-20 posts a day.)

Friday, March 31, 2017 9:49 PM
  • >I've now been using the bridge for 45 minutes with any problems at all, so I would say that the problem is resolved. (Well, almost. It fails on a specific forum, but something appears to fishy there: The newsreader reports 75 unread posts, and this forum normally only has 10-20 posts a day.)

Seems OK here now.

Dave

Friday, March 31, 2017 10:26 PM
  • I don't wanna see this happen again anymore.
    Remember "The future of the NNTP Bridge on MSDN" incident in 2013? That really hurts.

Alexis Zhang

http://mvp.microsoft.com/zh-cn/mvp/Jie%20Zhang-4000545
    http://blogs.itecn.net/blogs/alexis

| Maybe the TechNet bridge will suffer the same fate that the Answers bridge has
    |

Sunday, April 2, 2017 2:22 PM