none
Mark of the Web and .git files in Visual Basic RRS feed

• Question

• I teach an online Visual Basic class and have seen two curious things in a couple of students' files this semester. 

One is the existence of .gitignore, .gitattributes, and .git folders.  I understand that .git is used for version control of some kind, but why would students have it in their VB program files for class?

I've also had a couple of students whose programs wouldn't run because they contained the Mark of the Web.  I'm not familiar at all with MOTW and even after searching for it on the web, found very little to be helpful.  One student could run her program, but once she added a picture box/picture to the interface, it would give her a MOTW error.  I was able to run her program with the picture from my computer without getting the MOTW error message, so I gather it's a setting on her computer. (She said she was using Chrome, and that's also what I used.)

I've asked other folks who are programmers and they were unable to explain these issues to me.

Ideas?

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:24 AM

All replies

• Hi

According to your description, your issue is more related about MOTW. And this forum is discussing and asking questions about the vb.net.
    Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Alex

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 25, 2018 5:45 AM
  • Thanks for the help, given that the error message was thrown within VB when we ran the program and said to remove it from the VB project files. I'll try to find the answer from a different venue.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2018 4:33 PM