How to deactivate Office 2003 for reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• Have some Acer Veriton desktops for a business that had XP and Office 2003 on them. Want to wipe them all and then re-load these with the OS and Office from the original OS/Office discs from Acer and give these to a charity. Want to make sure we follow the correct procedure so we do not have problems with reinstallation. Do we need to uninstall Office 2003 first before wiping these machines or can we simply wipe the hard drives and reinstall everything on the computers? Or is there even a deactivation process we need to follow?
    Monday, December 6, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• "desktopTech" wrote in message news:1c9aab80-319c-439c-b6c7-6418ba23b29c...
    Have some Acer Veriton desktops for a business that had XP and Office 2003 on them. Want to wipe them all and then re-load these with the OS and Office from the original OS/Office discs from Acer and give these to a charity. Want to make sure we follow the correct procedure so we do not have problems with reinstallation. Do we need to uninstall Office 2003 first before wiping these machines or can we simply wipe the hard drives and reinstall everything on the computers? Or is there even a deactivation process we need to follow?

There is no deactivation process for either Office or Windows - simply wipe and reinstall. I would suggest though that you use Belarc Advisor to note the Keys in use on each machine before wiping, so that you put the same key back as came off - it will simplify activation in the long run.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:10 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 11:56 PM

All replies

• "desktopTech" wrote in message news:1c9aab80-319c-439c-b6c7-6418ba23b29c...
    Have some Acer Veriton desktops for a business that had XP and Office 2003 on them. Want to wipe them all and then re-load these with the OS and Office from the original OS/Office discs from Acer and give these to a charity. Want to make sure we follow the correct procedure so we do not have problems with reinstallation. Do we need to uninstall Office 2003 first before wiping these machines or can we simply wipe the hard drives and reinstall everything on the computers? Or is there even a deactivation process we need to follow?

There is no deactivation process for either Office or Windows - simply wipe and reinstall. I would suggest though that you use Belarc Advisor to note the Keys in use on each machine before wiping, so that you put the same key back as came off - it will simplify activation in the long run.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 7, 2010 9:10 PM
    Monday, December 6, 2010 11:56 PM
  • You mean the keys for Office? That was my other question, if the discs for one machine got mislabeled for another if that would cause problems re-activating. The person who filed everything left quite a few years ago, so not sure if everything was put in its proper folder for each machine. So Belarc will take note of the Office Key, so when we re-install with the disc, we can just enter the key that it found before wiping it sounds like. I'll have to look to see if this is free, we are only giving 8 of these machines.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010 4:57 PM
  • "desktopTech" wrote in message news:f650d480-0ba5-428e-b03f-05f52e957871...

You mean the keys for Office? That was my other question, if the discs for one machine got mislabeled for another if that would cause problems re-activating. The person who filed everything left quite a few years ago, so not sure if everything was put in its proper folder for each machine. So Belarc will take note of the Office Key, so when we re-install with the disc, we can just enter the key that it found before wiping it sounds like. I'll have to look to see if this is free, we are only giving 8 of these machines.

Belarc will tell you the exact edition of Office and Windows installed, and the Keys involved - it's a free download for home use.

--

Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Thank-you for your reply, but we are business, this is not personal use. Also, I was told the Office 2003 was purchased separetly from the machines and we need to be able to redeploy any of the Office 2003 keys with any of the machines. Is this possible? Is the key once we activated only going to be able to be used on that specific machine? Installing extra software before wiping the exisiting machines is not really an option.
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 5:10 PM
  • Hello desktopTech,

It might be helpful to run and post an mgadiag report from one the computers that is going to be wiped/reinstalled/donated.

It will let us see the type of Windows and Office licenses installed, which will determine the best course of action.

Thursday, December 9, 2010 6:52 PM