WHS shared folder access error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    Yesterday I tried to gain access to a number of folders on my server and got this very annoying massage:
    "you might not have a permission to use this network resource..." access denied.

The WHS worked fine for a full year (its pp2) and I have several win xp pro connected to it.

I can't seems to view these folders no matter what I do (even when I remotely connect to the server). I can access some of the shared folders but can't access others (I am an administrator and have all the premonitions marked).

I read a few posts here regarding similar problems (mostly with win 7 and Vista not xp pro) but they didn't really help me find the problem.

Any ideas?

P.S. I asked the same question on the "we got severed" forums but with no luck so far...

Iddo
    Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    Yesterday I tried to gain access to a number of folders on my server and got this very annoying massage:
    "you might not have a permission to use this network resource..." access denied.

The WHS worked fine for a full year (its pp2) and I have several win xp pro connected to it.

I can't seems to view these folders no matter what I do (even when I remotely connect to the server). I can access some of the shared folders but can't access others (I am an administrator and have all the premonitions marked).

I read a few posts here regarding similar problems (mostly with win 7 and Vista not xp pro) but they didn't really help me find the problem.

Any ideas?

P.S. I asked the same question on the "we got severed" forums but with no luck so far...

Iddo
    Are you accessing the server shares from a cient, the server desktop, or both?  If the server desktop, are you using Administrator to logon?  Did you install anything (add-in or app) around the time it stopped working?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 3:01 AM
  • I tried everything - both from my desktop and using remote desktop - and yes in all cases I am the administrator.
    Monday, July 27, 2009 11:30 PM
  • I tried everything - both from my desktop and using remote desktop - and yes in all cases I am the administrator.

You might have to do a Server Reinstallation to get it back to where it was before.  However, I'm curious as to your security settings on your shares.  Can you right-click on one of your shares that isn't working, go to the Security tab, then post the details here?  Make sure to include every user/user group as well as each permission associated with each user.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:02 AM
  • Hi - sorry for the delayed answer.
    I can now see everything when connected to the server using remote desktop. However I still have problems with the users - they all have full access from within WHS - so the problem might be with the core of the server (just a guess).

Regarding re-installing - should I just put the WHS disk in the server or do I need to do anything else?
    Do I need to install again all the drivers etc? what about all the data? what about add-ons?

P.S. is there a way I can post images here?

iddo
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 12:24 AM
  • Well - any ideas?
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:07 PM
  • Hi - sorry for the delayed answer.
    I can now see everything when connected to the server using remote desktop. However I still have problems with the users - they all have full access from within WHS - so the problem might be with the core of the server (just a guess).

Regarding re-installing - should I just put the WHS disk in the server or do I need to do anything else?

If you are using SATA drives, you will need to supply the drivers manually.  Make sure you can see all of your hard drives on the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen.

Do I need to install again all the drivers etc? what about all the data? what about add-ons?

It formats the entire OS partition, so you will need to install any drivers and add-ins you did before.  However, the data is not stored on that partition so you shouldn't lose any data.

P.S. is there a way I can post images here?

iddo
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 4:07 AM
  • Oh I hate this SATA driver thing - its one of the most annoying things ever.

Will I need to re-install the software on each and every PC as well?

Also - are you sure this is going to even solve the problem at all? the worst thing I can do is spend a full day on this and eventually be stuck with the same problem from some unknown reason...
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 9:34 AM
  • Oh I hate this SATA driver thing - its one of the most annoying things ever.

The easy way to solve that is to go into your mobo's BIOS and change your SATA ports to IDE/Legacy mode (which will then be detected as PATA drives).

Will I need to re-install the software on each and every PC as well?

You will need to re-connect each client to the server (either by re-installing the software or by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe).

Also - are you sure this is going to even solve the problem at all? the worst thing I can do is spend a full day on this and eventually be stuck with the same problem from some unknown reason...
    Can I guarantee it?  No.  But it should fix it.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:04 PM
  • O.K. thanks - I will report back in a week or so when I will find a few hours to work on the WHS.

Saturday, August 1, 2009 6:27 PM