none
VsJITDebugger unhandled Microsoft .NET exception

Question

• Hi!

We have an executable that intentionally throws an error so that JIT debugger will pop up (Not through Attach to Process).
    However, the pop up doesn't happen recently and I saw the Windows Logs error:

An unhandled Microsoft .NET Framework exception occurred in <program>.exe [9288]. Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: The operation attempted is not supported.
    Check the documentation index for 'Just-in-time debugging, errors' for more information.

I checked Microsoft docs about JIT debugger but the troubleshooting doesn't seem to work for me.

Do you have an idea why the JIT debugger won't start? As far as I can understand, the exe's .NET Framework version (4.1.75.0, based on the .config file) is a .NET framework version that the JIT debugger doesn't support.

Recently, I had problems creating a new project in our solution since the target framework is v4.5.2 but what I created was 4.6.1 (default framework when I added the new project). Is this connected to my issue? I am running out of ideas... @_@

Thanks!
    Sunday, November 11, 2018 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hi CsharpMajor,

Do you mean that it works well before? Do you debug an app using the Visual studio? If so, which VS version did you use? 

If so, which windows Environment did you use?

>> Just-In-Time debugging this exception failed with the following error: The operation attempted is not supported.

I got this issue in windows 8 before which was related to the registry:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/dsvc/2012/12/30/jit-debugging-using-visual-studio-may-fail-when-trying-to-debug-a-session-0-process-on-windows-8/

As you said that you create the project using different .net framework version, can you re-create or edit the project with the same .NET Framework version like .net 4.5.2? View the result.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 16, 2018 6:26 AM
  • Hi CsharpMajor,

What about this issue? Would you please share the latest information in your side?

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 26, 2018 1:28 AM