none
windows xp not fully login RRS feed

• Question

• Please help. I have no idea what happen. When I start my computer I get the login screen.  It logs me in but in about 3 seconds later it says saving settings and logs me back out. I have tried everything including ctrl + alt + delete and nothing happens. Please help.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 4:25 PM

Answers

• Bandkranch,

Did you just do some malware or virus removal, specifically the wsaupdater.exe spyware?  If so, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:12 PM
  • No. The only thing I did was uninstall my finger print reader. Windows was takening a long to to come up so I wasn't too sure if that was the issue. Now that I did that I can't go anything. I can't even run the link you gave me bacause I can't get any further then windows log in. Even if I go to safe mode I can't get pass the login screen.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Bandkranch,

The fingerprint reader may have made registry changes in the Winlogon registry key, and the removal of the reader may have damaged that registry key.

The not so easy solution is to do a repair reinstallation of XP.

The advanced solution is to use an offline Operating System such as BartPE to start and run the computer, then use regedit to try to edit the damaged Winlogon key:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In the right pane under Userinit, Change the key to read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

The problem may be as simple as the trailing comma being missing.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Bandkranch,

Did you just do some malware or virus removal, specifically the wsaupdater.exe spyware?  If so, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:12 PM
  • No. The only thing I did was uninstall my finger print reader. Windows was takening a long to to come up so I wasn't too sure if that was the issue. Now that I did that I can't go anything. I can't even run the link you gave me bacause I can't get any further then windows log in. Even if I go to safe mode I can't get pass the login screen.

Wednesday, May 9, 2007 10:54 PM
  • Bandkranch,

The fingerprint reader may have made registry changes in the Winlogon registry key, and the removal of the reader may have damaged that registry key.

The not so easy solution is to do a repair reinstallation of XP.

The advanced solution is to use an offline Operating System such as BartPE to start and run the computer, then use regedit to try to edit the damaged Winlogon key:

Go to Start/Run/Regedit and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon.

In the right pane under Userinit, Change the key to read:
    C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

The problem may be as simple as the trailing comma being missing.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Folks,

I discovered this the hard way.

Here is the only viable solution to this horrible problem, short of doing a repair reinstall of Windows -

Running BartPE will not work, as it cannot edit the actual user's registry - only BartPE's registry.  And it can't load or unload hives, nor can it connect to the damaged registry any other way.

On the other hand, since a PC with this problem will boot at least to the logon prompt, you can start it and then connect to the broken registry remotely over a network connection!

Simply connect the ailing PC to your network, run regedit on another network connected PC and select Connect Network Registry... from the File pull-down menu.  Provide the name, user ID and password of the administrator or an account with full administrator priveleges, and you're all set.

From there you can  restore the Userinit settings -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

set to:

"C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,"

Again, don't forget the trailing comma.

'gluck!

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 6:02 AM
  • DaveD1948,

Seems I was guilty of posting the "Reader's Digest" version of what to do vis-a-vis registry editing from within BartPE.

Here's a link to a step-by-step:  http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 3:01 PM