WHS Backup Service is failing RRS feed

• Question

• After a power failure on the WHS, the backup service will not start.

The following two errors are reported in the Home Server eventlog:

Client Backup server failed at d:\wssg_src\qhsv1_main\qhs\src\backup\util\diskfile.cpp(145)

Unexpected error 0x6 from CreateFile on D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\{2C5707F3-3EEE-477B-80D5-F4C3CF144CD4}.Machine.dat: The handle is invalid.

I have submitted at TALQ report for this problem.

Three client computers running Windows XP Professional SP2 are configured for the WHS.

The WHS Console on the client computer reports the backup state as Unknown.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:35 PM

Answers

• After re-booting the WHS.  The primary hard drive failed.  So I guess this error was a indication of impending failure.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:43 PM

All replies

• Did you check whether any all the on the server disks are ok?
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:38 PM
  • All of the disks report healthy on the WHS.  I checked the other two *.Machine.dat files in this directory and they are okay.

Is it safe to delete the offending Machine.dat file and restart the backup service?

Saturday, February 24, 2007 5:47 PM
  • After re-booting the WHS.  The primary hard drive failed.  So I guess this error was a indication of impending failure.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:43 PM
  • I'm having a similar problem but my error message is:

"File Error on Server D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\control.4096.dat Create File 6"

When I go to the Tools (little gears) on the console I get a message about Backup service not connected.  Says to restart Home Server and if this doesn't work to re-install the server. Not a very pleasant thought (re-installing the WHS software).

Both harddrives indicate good health and both are brand new, out of the box when I set up the WHS a week or so ago. Is it possible to do a "repair" rather than "re-install" of the WHS so I don't lose my existing configuration and existing successful backups or possibly correct the problem by some other means?

Friday, March 2, 2007 5:00 PM
  • Apparently a re-install does not preserve the backup data.  However I have read another thread that after re-install all of the backup data was preserved.

I would say give it a try and see what happens.
    Friday, March 2, 2007 6:31 PM
  • I did a re-install last night and it worked fine.  Everything was still there including my users. I did not boot from the DVD but instead logged into the WHS with monitor and keyboard and then loaded the DVD.  It did an "upgrade" rather than a clean install. Took less than ten minutes and was back up and running. All the automatic updates occurred successfully last night.
    Sunday, March 4, 2007 5:51 PM