Remote access to PCs in standby mode? RRS feed

• Question

• WHS backup is (I believe) capable of waking a client from standby in order to do a backup, yet it doesn't appear to be able to do the same in order to allow remote access.

Is there a reason for that? Or is there some setting I need to tweak?

Thanks ... Mike

Saturday, December 1, 2007 5:29 PM

Answers

• The Server doesn't wake up the Clients to perform a backup, thats a function of the Connector software that you installed on your clients. The Connector software wakes up the client and then negotiates a backup time with the Server.

If you need to wake up a client, there is the Add-In which, if you have WOL capable NIC's, would allow you to remote into you server, run the console from there and wake up the particular client you want to communicate with.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:26 PM

All replies

• The Server doesn't wake up the Clients to perform a backup, thats a function of the Connector software that you installed on your clients. The Connector software wakes up the client and then negotiates a backup time with the Server.

If you need to wake up a client, there is the Add-In which, if you have WOL capable NIC's, would allow you to remote into you server, run the console from there and wake up the particular client you want to communicate with.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, December 1, 2007 6:26 PM
  • Thanks Colin for the clarification.

Must wake-on-LAN be enabled in order to do backups? Since the client and the server agree on a time I would assume not, but my system has been in standby throughout the backup period today (except for one time I'm aware of when it woke up, presumably to negotiate as you describe), and a backup did not happen.

I'm pretty sure wake-on-LAN is not enabled (based on my trying to RDP to it and failing), so I will attach a keyboard to this client and check the BIOS settings.

Thanks ... Mike

Sunday, December 2, 2007 12:58 AM
  • Wake on Lan is not used or needed by the Windows Home Server Connector software to initiate backups to the home server.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:40 PM