Can't Connect With Console After Remote Desktop Port Change RRS feed

• Question

• This forum has been great for answering many of my questions so far... for that, thanks!

When I've searched for solutions, I've been unable to find an answer to the following issue:

On a fresh install/restore for my HP Home Server (currently with 1 HDD until the corruption bug is fixed), I am able to connect via the Windows Home Server Console and using Remote Desktop.  However, given my network (and for security purposes), I have changed the default port for Remote Desktop from 3389 to 3390.  Besides making the single registry change, I have added a Windows Firewall rule to allow Remote Desktop to permit incoming connections through 3390.

Remote Desktop continues to function properly after I restart the Windows Home Server (provided I add the new port number when connecting).  Once I connect with Remote Desktop, I can connect with the Console from the desktop shortcut on the server.

However, trying to connect with the Console from another computer within my LAN fails to work.  After typing in the correct password, the Console appears to begin loggin in, but fails.  The error displayed says, "Thee computer cannot connect to your home server.  Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.  If your home server has recently restarted, try again in a few minutes."  I can only click the "OK" dialog box.

I have attempted to "reset the Windows Home Server Console", but have not seen impovement on the situation.  For what it's worth, I can also see the status tasktray icon for the server and it appears green and healthy.

Does anyone have any suggested fixes or workarounds for using the console without first initiating Remote Desktop?  Is the problem the result of changing the port number for Remote Desktop?  What port does the Console use (netstat suggests it may be port 55000) and can I change it or change Windows Firewall to get it to work better?

Thank you in advance.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:05 AM

Answers

• The client Console application uses port 3389 - standard RDP port. Because you changed the port, you have made it impossible to use the Console application to connect to your server. I would recommend changing the port back to the default, as that is the required port.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:10 AM

All replies

• The client Console application uses port 3389 - standard RDP port. Because you changed the port, you have made it impossible to use the Console application to connect to your server. I would recommend changing the port back to the default, as that is the required port.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 6:10 AM
  • Hi 

I have the same problem but it solved by opening the new port on windows firewall 

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 5:25 PM