virtual hard disks is broken RRS feed

• Question

• HI

Please, i have a few of virtual hard disks (VHD) and when i need to attach any one windows seven gives me an error like that 

The chain of virtual hard disks is broken. The system cannot locate the parent virtual hard disk for the differencing disk.

the small files work grate but with the big VHD but if file > 5 GB As Example it failed

Thanks

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:04 AM

Answers

All replies

• It sounds like you are using differencing disks.  You cannot move them in the same way that you do fixed-sized and dynamically expanding vhds.  Moving the child breaks the chain.  Convert the differencing disks (parent and child) to one of the other types and then move it.

Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Mr Cbarnhorst thanks for your reply

Moving the child breaks the chain. Convert the differencing disks (parent and child) to one of the other types and then move it.

who i can do this ?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:29 PM
  •   I don't know much about this particular subject, but from what I have read, the following Technet blog post (How To Merge a Chained Differential VHD Disk So It Can Be Extended and Expanded) may help resolve the issue or at lest point you in the right direction http://blogs.technet.com/b/danstolts/archive/2011/04/02/how-to-merge-a-chained-differential-vhd-disk-so-it-can-be-extended-and-expanded.aspx .

I hope that helps,

Darin MS
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:42 PM