Build 6002 This copy of Windows is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I first received this message about 8 days ago.  I see the potential fix of registering Vista with the COA rather than the OEM code.  My questions are:
    1) I have not received any Vista or Windows Defender updates since the error manifested.  Does this error prevent me from updating Vista?
    2) If I try replacing the OEM with the COA and there are problems, will Vista stop working completely>
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:10 PM

Answers

• Hello rig1,

If your computer came with Vista Pre-installed, then yes, try replacing the OEM SLP key (the key that come in Vista from the factory) with the COA key.  This will likely solve the issue, but if not, create a new thread and post a Diagnostic Report and I will see what is happening.

1) Yes, being in a Non-Genuine state restricts Windows Updates to Critical Updates only. I believe Defender gets it's updates thru the Windows Update systems, so the same restrictions would apply.

2) It shouldn't stop working completly. If it does, there were far deeper issues that what Product key is being used. If you don't have Service Pack 2 installed, Vista may go into a Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM), which is a black background, no task bar, no start button and so on. But even in RFM, Vista is still working and you have access to all your files and such.

Again, if after you change Product Keys, you continue to see a Non-Genuine issue, be sure to create a new thread, and follow the below steps to post a Diagnostic Report.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
    1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up an Internet Browser.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
    4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.
    5) Create a Forum Thread and Paste the report into a post in that thread.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:20 PM

All replies

• Hello rig1,

If your computer came with Vista Pre-installed, then yes, try replacing the OEM SLP key (the key that come in Vista from the factory) with the COA key.  This will likely solve the issue, but if not, create a new thread and post a Diagnostic Report and I will see what is happening.

1) Yes, being in a Non-Genuine state restricts Windows Updates to Critical Updates only. I believe Defender gets it's updates thru the Windows Update systems, so the same restrictions would apply.

2) It shouldn't stop working completly. If it does, there were far deeper issues that what Product key is being used. If you don't have Service Pack 2 installed, Vista may go into a Reduced Functionality Mode (RFM), which is a black background, no task bar, no start button and so on. But even in RFM, Vista is still working and you have access to all your files and such.

Again, if after you change Product Keys, you continue to see a Non-Genuine issue, be sure to create a new thread, and follow the below steps to post a Diagnostic Report.

Hope that helps,
    Darin MS

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:
    1) Login to Vista and click the option that brings up an Internet Browser.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to “Run” or “Save”, Select “Run”
    4) When the program runs, click the “Continue” button, then click the “Copy” button.
    5) Create a Forum Thread and Paste the report into a post in that thread.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Hello,

I am having the same exact problem. But I don't know how to do what you are suggesting. How do I "replacing the OEM SLP key (the key that come in Vista from the factory) with the COA key"?

Thank you,
    Marie
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Hello MarieWalkerVA,

1) Click the 'Start' button
      2) Right-click 'Computer'
      3) Select 'Properties'
      4) In the window that opens, click 'Change Product Key' and follow the Change Product key Wizard

If you do not have access to the start button, then it's likely you do not have the same issue as the original poster, but you can follow the below steps. These steps were designed to re-create Vista's Licensing Store, but the end result is Vista will ask you for the Product key.

1) Select whatever option that opens an Internet Browser window.
    2) Type: %windir%\system32 into the browser address bar.
    3) Find the file CMD.exe
    4) Right-Click on CMD.exe and select 'Run as Administrator'
    5) Type: net stop slsvc  (it may ask you if you are sure, select yes)
    6) Type: cd %windir%\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareLicensing
    7) Type: rename tokens.dat tokens.bar
    8) Type: cd %windir%\system32
    9) Type: net start slsvc
    10) Type: cscript slmgr.vbs -rilc (It may take a long time for this to complete, please be patient)
    11) Restart your computer twice.
    12) When prompted, enter the COA SLP Product key from the sticker on the side or botton of the PC.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, December 11, 2009 7:22 PM