A question for those who have set up WHS on a GA-D510 Atom motherboard. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,  I've set up WHS on my GA-D510, using an 80GB disk attached to the SATA3 controller as a non-raid disk for my SYSTEM, and a 1.5TB DATA disk attached to the other controller.

I have now freed up another identical 80GB disk, and would like to use it to mirror my SYSTEM.  I'm happy to let WHS manage any new disks I add to the DATA pool, but my understanding is that it's not as good with duplicating the System.

Has anyone here managed to use the raid controller on the GA-D510 to mirror up an existing disk without data loss.  I've cruised the net looking for advice on this, and come up with an embarrasing blank.

Russell

Saturday, July 3, 2010 4:36 AM

All replies

• I think most RAID controllers require the disks to be wiped to create the array. If not, well you're in luck... and you can just setup a mirrored disk. :)
    Monday, July 12, 2010 9:02 PM
  • You'll find your RAID controller documented in your motherboard manual. If it doesn't say you can create a RAID 1 array from a pre-partitioned disk with data without wiping it, you can't.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, July 12, 2010 10:24 PM