Sata HDDs on pci sata controller RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to build my server on an older pc i have. It's a P3 2,4 GHz, 512 ram. I think it will be fine.

The motherboard is old, so it doesn't have more than 2 sata ports. I 'll add a pci to sata controller where 2 discs will be connected. Will these 2 discs be visible during the whs installation? I am not planning to install whs to one of them, but as i understand, from what i 've read around, it's different for whs to find 1, 2 or 3 discs during installation.

Another thing i 'd like to ask is what happens when the hdd where the whs is installed dies. Can i get back my files? Suppose i have 3 discs and folder dup. is on.

Thanks.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:01 PM

All replies

• Your questions are answered elsewhere in the forums; a quick search will get you more information than I'll be providing. Smile

I would start by getting a more modern motherboard. Old hardware is near the end of it's life, most likely. But what you've got meets the nminimum specs with plenty of headroom, so you should be fine for now.

WHS will see your disks during installation if they are either configured in the BIOS in what's usually called "Legacy IDE" mode, or if you supply appropriate drivers. So if you don't supply the drivers for your PCI SATA card, then WHS won't see them at installation. That's not a problem; you can add the drivers later and WHS will see the drives then.

If the system disk dies, you replace it and do a "server reinstallation". Assuming your WHS wasn't so full that the server was storing the only copy of unduplicated files on the system disk, you will not lose any data.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 12:25 PM
  •  

I was looking at using an older board at one point and it's not too hard (or expensive) to find PCI SATA cards with Server 2003 drivers Some are described as raid cards but all are just controllers in reality..  I guess it is adding another point of failure on the system, but to be honest I haven't had a SATA Card fail on me so far.

That said I went more modern and the board is on Q965 with six native ports.

Thursday, November 8, 2007 1:31 PM
  • I did a mistake before. My cpu is p4 2,4 GHz and my mobo is not that old. It's about 2 years old. Thanks for the answers.
    Thursday, November 8, 2007 9:49 PM