Can not create Attribute RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I am using CRM 3.0, and having issue with creating attribute in CRM account entity.

It only happens in account entity and while creating bit or picklist attribute.

when i do  create new attribute ---> entered all information( like display name, datatype....) ----> click create button
    following error comes up
    "error occuered.contact your system administrator".

when i looked back in log trace it appears as sql errot like table name more than 256 kind of error.. I will post the full error once i get it from my team member.

Did anyone faced this kind of issue. it workes fine on production server but not on test server. Also it haapens with account enitity bit or picklist attributes only.

Many thanks in advance

Tuesday, October 6, 2009 3:45 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, I am not able to gleen much from the error message.  If you have any script, custom code, etc. running against the Account entity, please disable it.  That includes any Form or field OnLoad, OnChange, etc.  Once disabled, save and publish your changes and try adding a generic bit field to the Account record.  Also, check all your mappings on the Account record to ensure they are still valid.

There is a SQL row size constraint of 8060 bytes.  If you are pushing the limits with the custom attibutes added to the Account entity then SQL will complain and not allow you to create additional attributes.  There is a lot of information about this constraint in the forums and on the Internet if you need more details.

With regard to the Deletion Service issue, please see this KB for more information.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Hi Guys,

At the end of the day, this is a limitation in SQL server 2005 which directly affects how CRM creates Picklist/bit/money attributes.

If your CRM database is SQL 2005 than CRM won't allow you to create more than 200 Picklist/Bit/Money custom attributes.

We have confirmed this with MS Support.

Only way around is to delete unused attributes of this  type and create new ones OR create sub entity and create extra attribute in this entity OR move
    your CRM database to SQL 2008.

Reason for this error is , while creating attribute in CRM, it fires up query which takes more than 256 table names. this violates the SQL maximum
    capacity rule for query.

Hope this will help to someone.

Thanks to those who replied initially.

Cheers
    • Marked as answer by him912 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:18 AM

All replies

• What version of SQL are you using?
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 6:46 AM
  • SQL 2000 SP4

Problem is I can create rest of attirubutes but not bit and picklist.

Strangly, on production server all works fine.

any help would be grealtly appreciated.

Thanks.
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 9:56 PM
  • You'll need to get the error message from the event viewer.
    Best Regards, Donna
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 11:43 PM
  • Hi Dona,

Following is a error message from CRM Trace file on server 

[2009-10-07 14:30:45.97] Process:w3wp |Thread:1852 |Category: Unmanaged.Sql |User: PlatformUser |Level: Verbose |

COLEDataAccess::ExecuteParameterizedQuery File: c:\bt\876\src\platform\include\omcommon\dataaccess.inl Line: 820
    >!! select organizationui.FormId as 'formid',organizationui.OrganizationId as 'organizationid',organizationui.FormXml as

'formxml',organizationui.FieldXml as 'fieldxml',organizationui.ObjectTypeCode as

'objecttypecode',organizationui.InProduction as 'inproduction',organizationui.PreviewXml as

'previewxml',organizationui.PreviewColumnsetXml as 'previewcolumnsetxml',organizationui.Version as

'version',organizationui.OrganizationIdName as 'organizationidname',organizationui.OrganizationIdDsc as

'organizationiddsc',organizationui.LocalizedName as 'localizedname',organizationui.LocalizedCollectionName as

'localizedcollectionname',organizationui.GridIcon as 'gridicon',organizationui.VersionNumber as

'versionnumber',organizationui.OutlookShortcutIcon as 'outlookshortcuticon' from OrganizationUI as organizationui where

(organizationui.OrganizationId = ? and organizationui.ObjectTypeCode = ?)!!{BA44ED06-9F08-484F-B78D-1C5C4B25E93C}::10006!!

================================  AND   ==============================================

in event viewer Log, follwoing error message comes up:

Error: Deletion Service failed to clean up some tables.

Many thanks

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:40 AM
  • Unfortunately, I am not able to gleen much from the error message.  If you have any script, custom code, etc. running against the Account entity, please disable it.  That includes any Form or field OnLoad, OnChange, etc.  Once disabled, save and publish your changes and try adding a generic bit field to the Account record.  Also, check all your mappings on the Account record to ensure they are still valid.

There is a SQL row size constraint of 8060 bytes.  If you are pushing the limits with the custom attibutes added to the Account entity then SQL will complain and not allow you to create additional attributes.  There is a lot of information about this constraint in the forums and on the Internet if you need more details.

With regard to the Deletion Service issue, please see this KB for more information.
    Best Regards, Donna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Wednesday, October 7, 2009 4:13 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Thursday, October 8, 2009 2:58 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 3:52 PM
  • Hi Guys,

At the end of the day, this is a limitation in SQL server 2005 which directly affects how CRM creates Picklist/bit/money attributes.

If your CRM database is SQL 2005 than CRM won't allow you to create more than 200 Picklist/Bit/Money custom attributes.

We have confirmed this with MS Support.

Only way around is to delete unused attributes of this  type and create new ones OR create sub entity and create extra attribute in this entity OR move
    your CRM database to SQL 2008.

Reason for this error is , while creating attribute in CRM, it fires up query which takes more than 256 table names. this violates the SQL maximum
    capacity rule for query.

Hope this will help to someone.

Thanks to those who replied initially.

Cheers
    • Marked as answer by him912 Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:18 AM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 5:18 AM