OS Version Confusion RRS feed

• Question

• I'm confused about the status of my Windows Phone device (A Lumia 920).

I'm trying to understand why I appear to have the latest version yet appear not to as well!.

There are two important version numbers that I can see, the OS and Firmware, here's mine:

Windows OS: 8.0.10517.150

Firmware: 3051.40000.1347.1001

I clearly don't have any version of Windows 8.1 on the phone, looking here you'll see each of the revisions released so far have a version number beginning: 8.10... and mine is 8.0...

This page suggests that I do have the latest firmware, the Lumia 920 version number matches what's on my phone - but that page is all about Windows 8 not 8.1...

So I'm confused - the only way to get an OS update is - it seems - to do the check for updates, yet my phone is still running OS version 8.0 despite the fact that three or four revisions of 8.1 appear to have been released so far.

I can find no page discussing Lumia firmware with respect to Windows 8.1, so once again Micorosoft are exhibiting sloppiness, here's me a seasoned tech with thirty years history as a software developer yet I can't fathom what is going on with this Phone 8.1 and versions and updates and revisions...

Thanks

Cap'n

Monday, August 4, 2014 4:30 PM

Answers

• The developer preview for Windows Phone 8.1 began in April. It isn't pushed to phones. You have to join the program: Windows Phone Preview for Developers

The public release of Windows Phone 8.1 is only now starting. Updates are deployed through the carriers and the process will take months.

• Proposed as answer by Just Karl Monday, August 4, 2014 6:59 PM
    • Marked as answer by Just Karl Friday, September 19, 2014 9:00 PM
    Monday, August 4, 2014 5:06 PM
  • For help using Windows Phone please post in the Windows Phone forums on http://answers.Microsoft.com

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:26 PM

All replies

• The developer preview for Windows Phone 8.1 began in April. It isn't pushed to phones. You have to join the program: Windows Phone Preview for Developers

The public release of Windows Phone 8.1 is only now starting. Updates are deployed through the carriers and the process will take months.

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:06 PM
  • For help using Windows Phone please post in the Windows Phone forums on http://answers.Microsoft.com

Monday, August 4, 2014 5:26 PM