OneCare V2 Beta, Vista x64 and Dynamic Disk RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been a very happy user of OneCare for a few months now and have two other PC's in my network using the software. However today my main Vista Ultimate x64 machine refused to boot and had to be reinstalled. I don't know where or when Dynamic Disk was selected for the boot drive but somehow it was and OneCare refuses to install and suggests I get help.

Following the help link is useless as there is nothing mentioned in the help for Dynamic Disks and searches for disks results in a multitude of unhelpful help. A little digging shows that Dyanmic Disks aren't supported by OneCare at all (due to a firewall incompatibility from what I've read) I guess from this I've a couple of questions:

1. Is Dynamic Disk support planned at all?

2. Is there any way to convert a Dynamic Boot/System disk to Basic without having to reformat and reinstall Windows.

I did find http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913964 which seems to show how to modify 'something' to change the drive from Dynamic to Basic but I couldn't get the XP tools mentioned to install. Can anyone suggest an alternative?

Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:44 AM

Answers