none
MCITP Windows 7 : Which Exam to take first? RRS feed

• Question

• Good Morning

I would like to attain the two MCITP Windows 7 Certifications by studying and eventually taking the 680, 685, and 686 exams.

Can someone please tell me which exam would be the easiest to study for first?

I intend to take all 3, inshallah (God Willing) this year..........but have a lot on at the moment in my life and so would like to study for the 'easiest' exam first, if possible.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you :)

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I think your best bet will be to take a look at the exam objectives for each one and go for the one that you feel the most comfortable with already and go for that one.

Saying that 70-680 may give you a solid grounding for the other 2 but I wouldnt consider any of the exams as easier just different in there objectives.

Also it depends on what enviroment you are planning on using this(ie: will you only be coming in to contact with supporting Windows 7 or are you likely to be utilising server 2008 etc), would it be better to broaden and take 70-680 first and use this towards MCITP Enterprise administrator(A total of 5 exams instead of 3 to achieve this but would give you a much wider skill set for prospective employers)

Hope that helps

Kevin

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hello Ibrahim,

I am pretty much on the same track as you. I just finished the 70-680 from MS Publising (wit lots of errata) and will take 70-680 first. I strongly suggest you do the same as it really helps you establish a solid foundation on Windows 7. Then 685 and 868 if you really want to focus. My next step after those will be the server certifications. I believe that whatever you do in whatever business, it's most beneficial to start from all to the bottom and work your way up. Inshaallah you become a good MCITP after that.

Hakan

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn't matter which one you take first, but I will recommend you to take the 680 first, 680 will gain you the basic skills on Windows 7 environment, and it will be good for you to have the experiences on taking Microsoft Exam.

Once you achieved the requirement of the certificate, you will be able to request the certificate.

The requirement are as below:

680: achieved 70-680 Exam

685: achieved 70-680 and 70-685 Exam

686: achieved 70-680 and 70-686 Exam

That's why finish 680 exam will be the best option.

BTW, I think most of the employer doesn't really know the different of Pro-685 and Pro-686, may be Pro: Enterprise administrator will be the best way for you.

Good Luck,

Nova

Nova C. Altesse
    Friday, April 29, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Morning!

I did the 70-682 Upgrade - this provided me my 680 and 685 certificates.

I will be sitting my 686, and holds some of the course material that is in the 680, it is does push onto the Windows Imaging side.

If you don't have the upgrade path, I would personally for the 680 - 685 - 686 path. It will ensure you grasp an understanding of the methods used to pass each exam.

Hope that helps :-)

Sharon

Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I think your best bet will be to take a look at the exam objectives for each one and go for the one that you feel the most comfortable with already and go for that one.

Saying that 70-680 may give you a solid grounding for the other 2 but I wouldnt consider any of the exams as easier just different in there objectives.

Also it depends on what enviroment you are planning on using this(ie: will you only be coming in to contact with supporting Windows 7 or are you likely to be utilising server 2008 etc), would it be better to broaden and take 70-680 first and use this towards MCITP Enterprise administrator(A total of 5 exams instead of 3 to achieve this but would give you a much wider skill set for prospective employers)

Hope that helps

Kevin

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 2:53 PM
  • Hi

I work in IT Support and look after around 60 PCs/laptops running XP/Vista/Windows 7.

I have been thinking about what you have replied with, WUV4Ever, and I feel that 70-685 would be my best option for my first study/exam, and then the 70-680 there after.

Self-study would be my preferred option for the 70-685 as I feel I know a lot of the skills already from my 13 years experience in IT Support (and 1 year of suporting Windows 7), however I would deffo need to attend a course for both the 70-680 and 70-686.

Thank you for your reply, I think I shall begin my self-study for the 70-685 this week inshallah and then take it on from there.

Ibrahim

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 4:02 PM
  • Hello Ibrahim,

I am pretty much on the same track as you. I just finished the 70-680 from MS Publising (wit lots of errata) and will take 70-680 first. I strongly suggest you do the same as it really helps you establish a solid foundation on Windows 7. Then 685 and 868 if you really want to focus. My next step after those will be the server certifications. I believe that whatever you do in whatever business, it's most beneficial to start from all to the bottom and work your way up. Inshaallah you become a good MCITP after that.

Hakan

Thursday, April 28, 2011 11:42 PM
  • Hi,

It doesn't matter which one you take first, but I will recommend you to take the 680 first, 680 will gain you the basic skills on Windows 7 environment, and it will be good for you to have the experiences on taking Microsoft Exam.

Once you achieved the requirement of the certificate, you will be able to request the certificate.

The requirement are as below:

680: achieved 70-680 Exam

685: achieved 70-680 and 70-685 Exam

686: achieved 70-680 and 70-686 Exam

That's why finish 680 exam will be the best option.

BTW, I think most of the employer doesn't really know the different of Pro-685 and Pro-686, may be Pro: Enterprise administrator will be the best way for you.

Good Luck,

Nova

Nova C. Altesse
    Friday, April 29, 2011 4:23 PM
  • Morning!

I did the 70-682 Upgrade - this provided me my 680 and 685 certificates.

I will be sitting my 686, and holds some of the course material that is in the 680, it is does push onto the Windows Imaging side.

If you don't have the upgrade path, I would personally for the 680 - 685 - 686 path. It will ensure you grasp an understanding of the methods used to pass each exam.

Hope that helps :-)

Sharon

Sunday, May 1, 2011 2:41 PM