none
Windows XP Product Activation RRS feed

• Question

• I have a perfectly legitimate version of Windows XP Pro that I bought for use on an older computer that only came with Windows ME. Well, I like to format the disk every few months because I don't entirely trust Windows security or some of the a/v programs out there, plus I like to tinker with Linux. I've never had problems with activating Windows because it is a genuine copy and I only use it on one computer.

But a few days ago, I tried to activate Windows like normal and Microsoft claimed that my license key had been activated too many times. Now, I have to phone Microsoft to activate it every time that I reinstall, which is a complete annoyance! I'm for anti-piracy measures, but I don't see why Microsoft has to keep a record of how many times that I do install it, unless it is a number that can only suggest piracy.

What do you think?
    Saturday, November 17, 2007 12:13 AM

Answers

• Glowboats,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:17 AM

All replies

• Glowboats,

Thank you for visiting the Microsoft Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) forum.  Your issue is related to Product Activation.  The purpose of this forum is the support of the WGA program and your question falls out of the scope for our support. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. I do suggest trying to activate using the “Activate by Phone” method from the activation Wizard. Telephone numbers for Activation Centers vary by product license and country/region. Use the number provided on your Activation Wizard screen to call the Microsoft Activation Center.  Please follow the below guidance for telephone activation for activating Windows. 

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.

You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

More information on how to activate Windows XP at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

Also you may reference the following site for various telephone activation centers:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326851

After you finish the above steps please restart the computer and try to validate Windows again: http://www.microsoft.com/genuine. Please locate the “Validate Windows” button in the upper right hand corner. Double click on the button and follow the guidance. Were you able to pass Windows Validation successfully? Please post again if you need further assistance. Thank you.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, January 10, 2008 12:17 AM
  • It IS an annoyance. I bought my copy of XP Pro when XP was first released from BestBuy in Mobile, AL (I'm in SC now). Even then, I found I could only activate 3 times per year, before having to call. It's at the point now that I use both Norton Ghost and the now-defunct Powerquest DriveImage to keep backups of my successfully-working installation. I've already disavowed Vista, and my company and I won't support it. We're switching to Linux because of the activation nuisance, when XP is no longer supported.

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that my copy is an XP Upgrade installation, rather than the full install. I dunno, but it's tiresome. And for the amount of money things are costing nowadays from these folks, the hardships far outweigh the benefits.

-DS
    Tuesday, February 19, 2008 6:25 PM
  • DreadStorm,

As you discovered, using a disk imaging program is vastly superior to doing a full installation frequently.  With over 100 windows updates published after SP2, not to mention all your programs and copying off data by hand, it's quite a time saver, too.

Then, you gotta ask yourself, why are you reinstalling so much?  If due to viruses and/or spyware, install a good antivirus program and protect your computer by do daily computing tasks with a Limited User account, not an admin account.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:11 AM
  • I install so many times, because I'm a computer tech.  <grinz>  Being such a nerd, I tend to revamp my machines several times throughout a year. Every time I get a new toy or card, or drives, etc, in it goes.  And at least half the time, my "system configuration has changed, and requires activation" again. So I gave up on it. My main image consists of XP, with all the updates and service packs, but nothing else. I reinstall the software as needed (most don't stay on, like games, but some are almost constant.) My secondary image, using Ghost, consists of the basic install, plus the office suites, tools and utilities.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 4:34 AM
  • This is always incredibly annoyingbecause they accuse you of stealing the software and putting it on multiple computers. You have to reassure them that it is only on one computer several times. "Yes it is on one computer". "Yes the problem is that I replaced my motherboard and CPU", I am tired of saying I am honest. I bought the software why can't I put it on my ONE computer!

You have Registration AND activation - if it is registered I used my disk that is good enough!

Ever time I have a breakdown and need a new modem I need to reactivate - which means I have to tell someone who doesn't speak english 45 digits, then they tell me 55 digits, and I am hard of hearing!

It's not fair.

Sunday, March 9, 2008 7:23 PM
  • Yet another example of the corporate mind (oxymoron)....Punishing all for the actions of a very small few.
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:10 PM