WHS System Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Experts out there !
    I am running an ACER easyStore H340 with 4 disks 2x1TB and 2x 1.5TB.

I have just completed the installation of WHS incl. PP3 and trying to familirise myself with the beast, I noticed, that the system disk is indicated as the 2nd disk and not the first one as I would have expected. Can someone explain to me why? Before I commit all my data to the server I want to ensure everything is ok.
    I might have already done something silly. I swapped the two disks (no. 1 and 2 - after power off) and funnily enough, everything came back up and worked normally, but still the second disk was shown as the system disk (I assume this is indicated by the fact you cannot access its properties and by the little windows icon).

While we are at it, can I change the name of the disks somehow? They are all shown with their manufacturer's id and not a meaningful name.

Thanks for any help.
    Carlos
    Monday, March 8, 2010 12:39 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you power down your server and swap the disks back to how they were the problem should be solved.  You should always leave your system disk in position and not move it around.

You can't change the name of the disk within Server Storage - however you can use the add-in Disk Management and this will allow you to change the names if you really need to, though it is a paid add-in.

Cheers,
    Al
    --
    Monday, March 8, 2010 1:56 PM
  • As Al has suggested, you should swap your disks back.

The order of disks on the Server Storage tab of the console is not defined by Microsoft. It's not sorted alphabetically or in any other way I can figure out, so you'll have to get used to your system disk not being the first disk in the list. Just as an example, mine is the third disk on my Server Storage tab...

As for renaming disks, there's no way to do so in Windows Home Server. In theory you shouldn't need to, however, because your OEM (Acer) server has individual drive lights which should uniquely identify a disk when you need to do something with it.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 8, 2010 3:54 PM
  • Hi Al,
    Thanks for your reply. I appreciate, that one shouldn't move system disks around and I am not intending to do so normally. I wanted to find out whether I can determine which drive the OS is on and why it wasn't drive one. The strange thing in my installation is, that despite swapping disk 1 and 2, the OS appears to be still on the disk in the same 2nd slot as before, despite the fact, that now the other disk was in the slot. I would have expected, that the OS indicator in the Server Storage would have moved or the WHS shouldn't boot anymore. Or could it be that one disk is a mirror of the other, but that again shouldn't be if I understand the basics of the WHS. Perhaps I am bit slow here and certainly new to the subject.

Give me a hint. I want to understand it. Is there any literature you could point me to other than the User Guide, which doesn't deal with subjects at this level.

Thanks again for your effort.
    Cheers
    Carlos
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:03 PM
  • Thanks Ken,
    I feel a bit better that it appears I haven't completely messed it up. However, still don't understand why it works even when swapping the two disks (1 and 2) as I mentioned to Al.
    Thanks and regards
    Carlos
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:05 PM
  • It works with swapped disks because the BIOS in your server is able to find the bootable (system) disk whatever position it's in, and because Windows Home Server doesn't care about what connection (i.e. motherboard port) a disk is on.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 9, 2010 4:58 PM
  • Hi Ken,
    Thanks, that explains the boot, but also means that the sequence the disks are displayed in the Server Storage does not reflect the pqhysical slots they are in. Because, once the system was in slot 1 the other time in slot 2, but on all occasions, the OS icon was always shown on the second drive. A bit confusing and worrying, if one can't tell in which slot the OS is residing.
    Thanks for your help.
    Any literature dealing with related system information you would recommend?
    Regards Karl
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:11 AM
  • Sorry, forgot to mention something important in my previous reply.
    Regardless how I swapped the disks (in s1 or s2) it not always showed that the OS is in s2 but it also would allow me to remove s1 while not allowing it for s2, even with the OS most likely to reside in s1. Very strange. Could be a problem with the ACER version of the software.
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 9:15 AM