Restoring a SurfacePro4 from a backup on WHS11 fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have a replacement SP4 for one that broke. I want to restore the old SP4 onto the new one using a recent backup on WHS11. I was able to boot from a UEFI USB drive, locate and install the proper drivers, and run full system restore. When it finished its work, it threw an error: "An unknown network error has occurred." There is an additional error client window that says "The instruction at 0x00007FF6AD151782 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000000. The memory could not be read. Click OK to terminate the program." 

The log ends with the following:

RestorePartitionESP called for disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0, source Z:\{9d0673a2-063a-4b22-8c33-b217d70e7e41}
     EspDriveLetter called for disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0, action 1
     GetDriveLetter succeeded, ESP drive letter " "
     EspDriveLetter called for disk \\?\PhysicalDrive0, action 0
     AssignDriveLetter succeeded, ESP drive letter "W"
     ESP drive letter "W"
     command line: X:\windows\system32\robocopy.exe "Z:\{9d0673a2-063a-4b22-8c33-b217d70e7e41}" "W:\\" /MIR /COPYALL /R:0
     ERROR: robocopy failed, return code 0x00000008 (E_FAIL)
     ERROR: RestoreESP failed, error 0x80004005
     RestoreHelper::T_Restore: failed to restore ESP, error 0x80004005
     RestoreHelper::T_Restore: restore complete with return value 536870914
     ERROR: CDialog_Restore::Completed failed, HR=0x80070002 (at func: CDialog_Restore::Completed, e:\colorado_qfe_fast\backup\pc\bmr\restorewizard\dialog_restore.cpp (88)

Wednesday, August 9, 2017 3:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please connect the surface device to the same network as the server using a network cable (a wired connection) and make sure that you have access to all hard drives on the client. then, try to restore and confirm the result.

Also, please make sure that KB 2781272 has been installed on WHS 2011 - A hotfix is available to add backup support for UEFI-based computers to back up to servers that are running Windows Home Server 2011:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2781272/a-hotfix-is-available-to-add-backup-support-for-uefi-based-computers-t

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 10, 2017 6:50 AM
  • The client is directly wired over ethernet cable. KB2781272 was installed on WHS11 in June 2015. I tried the BMR again, with the same result. The new attempt results in the same final lines in the log as shown above. 
    Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:59 PM
  • Hi,

This is a quick note to let you know that I am currently performing research on this issue and will get back to you as soon as possible. 

If you have any updates during this process, please feel free to let me know.

Thank you for your patience.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 11, 2017 9:17 AM
  • I tried restoring seven backup versions from the past three months, and all failed in the same way.
    Monday, August 14, 2017 4:27 PM
  • Hi,

From the error message, it seems that the full system restore failed because restoring the ESP drive (EFI System partition) failed, and the robocopy command line was in a wrong format which might be X:\windows\system32\robocopy.exe "Z:\{9d0673a2-063a-4b22-8c33-b217d70e7e41}" "W:\" /MIR /COPYALL /R:0

Please check the following steps when performing restore:

• On the Select a backup to restore page, select a backup and then click the Next button.
      • On the Select restore option page, click one of the following, and then click Next.

noteNote

This page is not displayed if automatic partitioning is not supported.

1. Let the system manage the volumes to restore (recommended). This option helps assure that the computer is restored to the state that it was just prior to the time and date of the backup that you chose. If you choose this option, skip to step 15.
      2. Let me select volumes to restore (Advanced). This option allows you to choose the volumes that you want to restore and where you want to restore them. You can also create partitions on the hard drive.
    1. On the Select the volumes to restore page, you can choose the volumes that you want to restore.

noteNote

This page is displayed only if you have multiple hard drives on your computer or if you selected the advanced option in step 13.

1. The wizard attempts to match the source and destination volumes. You should verify that the default mapping is correct.
        1. To deselect a volume, click the list menu arrow for that volume, and then click None.
        2. When you finish selecting the volumes, click Next.
      2. If the source volume and the destination volume are the same size, or if the source size is smaller than the destination, a green arrow appears between the two. If there is a volume size mismatch (where the source volume is bigger than the destination volume), a red X appears between the source and the destination.
        1. Click Run Disk Manager (advanced), and create a new volume that is the same size as the system reserved volume.
        2. (Optional) Select the option Do Not Assign a Drive Letter or Drive Path.
        3. Format the volume as NTFS.
        4. When formatting is complete, right-click the new volume, and then click Mark Partition as Active.
        5. If you require additional volumes to correspond with other volumes in the backup, repeat steps ii through iv to create and activate the volumes, and then close Disk Management.
        6. On the Choose Volumes to Restore page, map the system reserved volume to the volume of the same size that you created in step v.
        7. Map all other source volumes to the corresponding destination volumes.
        8. Click Next to continue with the restore.

Based on the steps above, I suggest we delete the partition on the HDD you wish to restore to, then create a new simple volume but select the option Do Not Assign a Drive Letter or Drive Path.

To open disk Management dialog, we can also perfrom following steps:

1.When getting the failure dialog, click back to go back to the previous dialog

2.Press Crtl+Alt+Shift for several seconds, wait for the command line window pops up3.Type diskmgmt.msc, and disk management window pops up

If the issue persists, in both server and client computer, please refer to following path: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Server\Logs and check log files to find relevant errors. Please check those log files which were modified when run the Full System Restore Wizard.

If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know.

Eve Wang
    Best Regards

Thursday, August 17, 2017 6:54 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Thursday, August 24, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if the reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 9:11 AM