Loss of Files after Raid Failure RRS feed

• Question

• Looking for any suggestions.  We have a WHS setup on an Intel system with Intel's Raid on Executive Motherboard with 2 SATA drives in Raid 1.(Invisible to OS.)  Two Volumes, one for Sys and one for data as usual.  System ran fine for 1.5 yrs.!  This weekend we found at times that certain directories were returning error messages stating user was not authorized to read directory or it was in use and unavailable.  Next day the server froze entirely and went off line.  Upon reboot it would not boot from drives.  Upon entering Bios we saw that the Raid had Failed and that there was a request to rebuild raid array; we did a Y to rebuild and it informed us that it would rebuild and system can be booted from OS.  We exited and system successfully rebooted.  There was one more freeze episode and we had to go through same process.  System came up and SEEMED stable.  BUT we discovered that there were no files after June 7, 2009!  (This is on Sep. 7, 2009.)  We were missing quicken files, excel files known to have been edited the prior days.  We looked at shadow copy only to discover that for some reason it was listed as disabled on the same date for which our last files were stamped, the June 7, 2009 date!    All newer files are missing.

We removed both drives from the system and placed each in an external SATA USB docking station.  The drives are readable by our computer (running Vista 32) and the file system seems OK. BUT again there are no files newer than June 7. 

How can this have happened.  We have attempted to use software file recovery programs, but as of this time have not been successful at finding files with newer time / date stamps.

Any theories?
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:17 AM

All replies

• Your question is more appropriate for a forum that deals with Intel Raid Executive Motherboards.  Yes I also use a Raid 1 for my WHS, but, if something goes wrong I don't expect any support since it's officially not supported.
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 1:28 AM
  • Hi guys
    I may be way off here but just as a idea has anyone checked the bios clock.. it is showing todays date not junes if it was to show junes may be that is the problem. was it showing junes at time of crash or re-build ??
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 8:47 AM
  • As Ian has suggested, check the BIOS and OS dates on your server. It's very unlikely that your RAID controller just happened to stop writing data exactly 3 months ago...

Your recent system instability may point to a hardware issue, either with your RAID controller (i.e. your motherboard) or with one or both drives in the array. You should try some disk diagnostics while the disks are out of the server. At a minimum, run chkdsk /r, and if you want you can also run the drive manufacturer's tools (if any).

Regarding shadow copies, they're not supported on Windows Home Server because the underlying technology is not compatible with Drive Extender. There are ways to use them anyway, but the bottom line is that you should not rely on them.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 9, 2009 2:47 PM