Storage Status Critical : System Hard Drive has less than ... RRS feed

• Question

• Windows Home Server is showing a Critical Storage Status health warning stating:  "Error: System Hard drive has less than 5 GB free space.  Please add a hard drive to your server storage or delete some files."  

This is the CTP build and I have two drives in my WHS,  80 GB and a 60 GB.  When I check Server Storage it shows I have 49 GB free space. My Computer on the server and it shows C: with 10 GB total and 6.26 GB free.  The D: shows 64.5 GB and 3.04 GB free.  Those are the only two drives showing (other than the DVD and floppy).  That adds up (roughly) to 80 GB.   

Something strange is going on.  Where is the space from the 60 GB drive?  Why do I need another hard drive when WHS is showing 37% free space?  Is there something I can do other than adding a third drive since it appears that space is not really an issue? 

TIA

Walter

Wednesday, April 25, 2007 10:04 AM

All replies

• The message is because your D: drive is full. (The additional 60 GB drive is part of the pool, but not shown in Windows Explorer.)

The question is, why? I'm going to take a guess that you have a couple of home PCs set to back up to WHS, and a few shares set to use duplication. It's entirely possible that backups plus duplication have filled your D: drive.

In which case, the answer really is that you need additional storage, even though it looks like you have plenty of free space. The way WHS uses the disks can't make all of that storage available to you.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 12:19 PM
  • Ken you could be right that the drive is full. It is backing up several computers so it would not surprise me if the drive space was full.

However the fact that WHS reports all that free space must be a bug. 

Thanks,
    Walter
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:35 PM
  • The free space probably exists. It's just not on the system drive. You could fill it up by (one file at a time) copying 2 GB files to WHS. So I don't think it's a bug. However, you can always submit a bug report on Connect.

There is a bug in the utilization reporting, which occasionally results in wildly inaccurate reports of space used by e.g. backups in the pie chart on the Server Storage tab. It's known, and (I assume) going to be fixed before RTM.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 5:56 PM
  • Ken,

It is the Server Storage window where I am being told I have 37% (or whatever) available space.  If it had not reported that I still had space I would have already assumed that I needed another drive because of what I am backing up.  That window is very misleading and would confuse any user.  Would it help if I Validate that bug?

It is also confusing that the message reports "System" Storage rather than Data or Backup storage space.  Initially I though that the OS needed a larger partition.

Walter
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 6:06 PM
  • I'm seeing the exact same problem on my system.  My primary drive is 80 GB with 2 x 80GB and another 120 GB drive for storage.  Server Storage reports that I have about 101GB of free space, but I still receive a Home Network Health Critical error stating that "the system hard drive has less than 5 GB free space".  I'm having problems copying files now to the server shares, getting a message stating there isn't enough room.
    Wednesday, April 25, 2007 9:38 PM
  • I am also experiencing the same problem.  I just did the upgrade to CTP last night and now I have the Network Health Critical error.  With Beta 2 everything was OK.  My primary drive is 250 GB with 2 x 200 GB for storage.  Total capacity around 600 GB and 402 GB of free space available.
    Thursday, April 26, 2007 1:03 PM
  • I’m getting the same message, I suspect I have a problem with shared folders; I moved all my photo files (25GB) to the photo shared folder, unfortunately it loaded onto one of my system drives instead of a USB external drive. Now I get network health - critical messages; less than 5GB space remaining. How do I force the folder over to the external drive in the storage pool where there is plenty of space (150GB) and my computers backup files are already stored?

David

Saturday, April 28, 2007 10:55 PM
  • I was having the same problem.
    The following workaround took care of it for me.

I went into the properties of one of my large shares: "Music" and turned duplication off.
    Once the status at the bottom said "Storage Balance on: xxxxx", turned duplication back on.

Once I did this, I no longer received the message.

Before this, I had about 20 Gigs free before I added another 80 Gig drive and then copied my 50 Gigs of Music to the WHS machine.

It saw the new drive and I added it to the pool, but it acted as if it wasn't aware of the 80 Gig drive in its calculations so when I added the 50 Gigs, it thought I only had 20 free thus the error message.
    Friday, May 18, 2007 11:45 PM