Can't remove a drive from the storage pool RRS feed

• Question

• I have tried to read all the posts related to this question but haven't found anything on my specific situation.  I have HP MediaSmart fully populated with 3 1/2 terabytes and an esata enclosure with 4 additional terabyte drives.  I also have an external terabyte drive attached through USB.  I want to remove the external drive from the storage pool but when I run the wizard to remove the drive I get a warning that Shared Folders Are Being Used and that I should close these open folders to avoid losing data.  There are 2 listings in the table showing open folders as follows:

Folder Name: Software (in both lines), Used By: Administrator in one and blank in the other, Used On:127.0.0.1 (in both lines), Open Files: 1 (in both lines)

127.0.0.1 is not a physical machine on my network so it must be a vitual address used by an appplication running on one of my machines - I assume the WHS?  I googled that address and it appears to typically be used for remote access so I closed all the connectors on machines on my network and RDPed into the WHS and still get the warning.  There is nothing in my Software shared folder that didn't come with the WHS other than some add in MSIs, all of which are installed so I wouldn't think WHS is looking at that directory. 

Shoudl I just proceed with removing the disk?  I am not worried about losing any of the files in Software folder since I can get all of them back.  Any idea what 127.0.0.1 is?
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:07 PM

All replies

• That address is the "loopback" address; it references your server, as a computer on your network, from your server.

Have you installed any software using a Remote Desktop session? Especially any programs which remain resident and running on your server at all times?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, February 13, 2009 10:17 PM
  • I haven't installed any software using RDP.  in fact the only additional software was added through the normal add-in process and they are WHS Disk Management, Duplication Info, WHSBDB, Advanced Admin Console and PV Conncect (which comes with the HP MediaSmart).  The only thing I have done using RDP (other than view the WHS using task manager) is to add files to a shared folder.  I had a terabyte of video files that I wanted to add to the shared video folder and I did it by adding a drive to my esata rack (but not adding the drive to my WHS) and then RDPing into WHS and copying the files from that drive to my shared video folder.  This was to take advantage of the direct connection speed rather than moving them across my network.

Friday, February 13, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Have you rebooted your server since copying those files? And have you waited long enough for PVConnect to finish building an index/database of them? The latter can, I understand, take a very long time...
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:32 PM
  • Reboot - yes.  waited long enough - I don't know but its been over a day.  BTW, I don't use PVConnect for anything.  I stream through iTunes running on another machine that is pointed to the videos on WHS to AppleTV.  Should I disable/uninstall PVConnect?
    Friday, February 13, 2009 11:35 PM
  • redfish323 said:

Reboot - yes.  waited long enough - I don't know but its been over a day.  BTW, I don't use PVConnect for anything.  I stream through iTunes running on another machine that is pointed to the videos on WHS to AppleTV.  Should I disable/uninstall PVConnect?

You should be careful if you are using iTunes with a remote library like that. iTunes is designed as a single user, single computer tool, and trying to share a network library may result in unanticipated issues.

As for PVConnect, if you don't use it, then yes you should remove it.

Friday, February 13, 2009 11:47 PM