Is there a way to nofity a job owner if the submitted job is faild on HPC Server 2008 R2? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using Windows HPC Server 2008 R2 on my cluster and I am its admin.

I have a chain of jobs which are being submitted consequently through a C# program to the HPC job scheduler.

I have set up the job scheduler in the way that it send me an email notification if the job is competed.

What I actually want is to set it up to send an email if a submitted job is failed not if it is completed.

I would be appreciated if you could share your thoughts

Regards

E R

Friday, March 30, 2012 6:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Currently, when notification is requested for job completion it is also sent when job fails or is canceled - any final state of the job will trigger it. Unfortunatelly we don't support filtering by a specific state at this time.

Thanks,
    Łukasz

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:01 PM
  • Thanks Lukasz

Is there a way to set the message content sent to the job owner?

In situation which I discussed in my question I get the message in my email but It is in Chinese or some sort of unicode which has been shown as Chinese  characters.

Best

E

Friday, March 30, 2012 9:41 PM
  • Hi,

There is no way to modify the message content and its lanugage should depend on the language version of your HPC Pack. Are you getting unexpected content on English localized cluster? If this is the case, what SMTP server are you using?

The expected notification content is:

Subject: Your job 3 is now in the 'Finished' state

Notification from cluster LUKASZTCLUSTER:
     Job Id: 3
     Name:
     State: Finished

Regards,
    Łukasz

Friday, March 30, 2012 11:14 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response and time

The HPC pack is in English

and here is what I get in the message

一漀琀椀昀椀挀愀琀椀漀渀 昀爀漀洀 挀氀甀猀琀攀爀 䠀攀愀搀㨀ഀ਀ऀ䨀漀戀 䤀搀㨀 ㈀㄀㤀㜀㔀㄀ഀ਀ऀ一愀洀攀㨀 圀䐀刀攀栀愀戀㐀㤀㈀㔀ഀ਀ऀ匀琀愀琀攀㨀 䘀椀渀椀猀栀攀搀ഀ਀

I am not sure what do you mean by smtp type?

It is the university generic SMTP server and it should be on English as well.

I am using the same setting to receive the UPS notifications by email and there has been no problem so far with it.

Best,

E

Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:06 AM
  • Thank you for your message. By SMTP type I just mean the specific implementation of the SMTP server. The most common right now are:
    - Postfix
    - Exim
    - Microsoft Exchange Server
    - sendmail

Could you check with your system Administrator about, which one is it in your case?

Thanks,
    Łukasz

Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:21 AM
  • I'll response as soon as I get it from my network admin

Thanks

E

• Edited by ehsan_ro Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:35 AM
    Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:35 AM
  • Hi Lukasz,

The SMTP server is Microsoft Exchange Server

Thanks

E

Saturday, March 31, 2012 12:24 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for checking this. Also what is your email client software? Do you have web access to your account? Is the message content same when viewed in both places?

Windows HPC Server sends email messages with UTF-16 encoding specified explicitly for both subject and body. Content type is set to 'text/plain' and content transfer encoding to 'base64'. Depending on the Microsoft Exchange Server configuration and version you may experience issues like the one described by you. I've found 2 KB articles, which might be a potential solution to your problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969129
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946641

If the 3rd party software components are involved in message delievery process there is also a chance, that they causing the issue.

Thank you,
    Łukasz

Monday, April 2, 2012 3:09 PM
  • Hi Lukasz,

Was there any developments in sending email using specified sate ? If you have 10,000 jobs to run on hpc, it make senses to require only email notification on failed status.

-Vivek

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:11 PM
  • In HPC Pack 2016 Update 1, you are able to customize your email content as well as deciding whether to send email or not. Please check this thread: https://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/433d97aa-cde0-4603-8188-b55d5a9c8f34/overriding-default-email-message-of-hpc?forum=windowshpcdevs

Qiufang Shi

Monday, April 23, 2018 5:33 PM