Why doesn't a site for innovativeeyes.com return innovative eyes? RRS feed

• Question

•  

This is a fundamental question I'd like to see Microsoft answer.  If I go to live search but am not sure I have the right address and enter innovativeeyes.com I get a photolinks site, and nowhere do I see the innovativeeyes site.  The only way I can see it is by typing in site:www.innovativeeyes.com

Why doesn't live understand the plain english typed into it?

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:06 AM

Answers

• Heather,

Your right, the sites that are showing up for a search on innovativeeyes.com are sites that link to Nate's site. The problem for nate is that those sites are more popular and therefore rank better. I won't say this is the best result in this case, but the reason is that straight forward.

Something else you may have noticed is lots of sites that have the keywords innovative eyes. This is because some users search behavior is to add ".com" to search terms. (yes this happens all the time. yes it is done unintentionally as well as intentionally.) We look for innovative eyes as seperate keywords in that search.  There are thousands of sites that use the term innovative eyes in them. Most of which rank better than Nate's site.

Hope this answers your question.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:25 AM

All replies

• Heather,

Your right, the sites that are showing up for a search on innovativeeyes.com are sites that link to Nate's site. The problem for nate is that those sites are more popular and therefore rank better. I won't say this is the best result in this case, but the reason is that straight forward.

Something else you may have noticed is lots of sites that have the keywords innovative eyes. This is because some users search behavior is to add ".com" to search terms. (yes this happens all the time. yes it is done unintentionally as well as intentionally.) We look for innovative eyes as seperate keywords in that search.  There are thousands of sites that use the term innovative eyes in them. Most of which rank better than Nate's site.

Hope this answers your question.

Jeremiah

Friday, January 4, 2008 1:25 AM
  •  

It does partially but it still doesn't make much sense.  Checking Yahoo and Google, both return his site #1 because it's most relevant to the search itself regardless of rank.

In a previous example with our site this site shows up #1 when searching for promomanagers.com.

http://www.hilton.com/en/es/hotels/hotelpromo.jhtml?ctyhocn=WASCCES&promo=Managers_Reception&cid=OH,ES,wascc,ManagersB

Is it actually this rudimentary that Live Bot thinks the bold text (I made it bold) means this is what the searcher wanted?  The words promo and managers appear twice in the URL only, not once in the page itself.  To me this blows all the talk about content and links out of the water, it's a fundamental flaw in not understanding what searchers are looking for when they search.

Am I missing something or are you saying the reason a Hilton site shows up instead of our company is because their site is better than ours?  It has absolutely nothing to do with promotions, promotional products, or even managers, but they're more relevant because...well because they're more relevant?   Microsoft has decided the searcher looking for promomanagers.com or innovativeeyes.com was actually looking for a hotel room or photo?

Friday, January 4, 2008 2:03 AM