none
More Medals? RRS feed

• General discussion

• Are there any plans to add more medals? There seems to be a pretty large gap getting to some of the Gold medals. Also, more medals for different types of achievements would be interesting. A multi-category contributor medal would be interesting. Perhaps for earning points in more than one category.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 7:59 PM

All replies

• I believe the reasoning was to make it very easy to get bronze achievements, and not too difficult to get silver. This provides incentive for newer users. They see more immediate feedback that their participation is appreciated. But I believe they wanted to make gold achievments more of a challenge. As a result, there is a much larger gap between requirements for silver and gold.

In retrospect, some achievement categories seem easier to excel in than others. If you code or script, like me, the "answers with code" achievements are easier than others. The "Proposed Answerer" achievement seems very hard. But then there should always be something to look forward to. Over time, achievements are earned less frequently, but hopefully regular particpators require less incentive. And points can actually get easier to accumulate (for things like Wiki page views).

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Friday, November 22, 2013 7:57 PM
  • I actually would not mind a couple more gold medals. I think at some point I proposed them. Because right now after you got the Code Answerer 3 gold medal, for example, there is nothing on top of that. I was proposing other gold milestones for more answers.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Friday, November 22, 2013 9:18 PM
  • Reading through the FAQ makes it seem like they had planned on more medals and more categories, but that was in 2011 and there hasn't been an update since. I think adding in CodePlex as a new category would make sense and would be useful. The Code Galleries are great for sharing code samples, but CodePlex is great for maintaining reusable code.

I'm currently at the point with medals that I have to learn a new language so I can go after the translation wiki as the remaining medals in the other categories will just take time to get.

I know they don't mean a whole lot, but they are fun to collect.

http://rbrundritt.wordpress.com

Tuesday, November 26, 2013 3:21 PM