none
Scanner Driver installed but cannot be used. RRS feed

• Question

•  

hello people,

i am a new user here and i need some help. I am having a scanner which is quite old and after some thorough browsing i finally got a driver for it. the problem is that when i  open the microsoft office document scanning software, it will not respond respond thus displays the message "windows is checking the problem and will close. so i tried to check for some other scanning software but, they all fail to detect my scanner. i dont know what is wrong but it could ran quite nicely in the XP now that i've switched to Vista i am encountering these problems. thanks in advance

Saturday, February 23, 2008 7:29 PM

All replies

• As the scanner was doing fine in XP but not in Vista, then maybe the software you are installing is not compatible with Vista(as most of the softwares are). You should see the documentation of the software or search for the software for Vista......
    Or give the details of scanner(model no. and company) so that I can help you more...

Thanks & Regards....
    Saturday, February 23, 2008 8:36 PM

• There is no need of drivers for scanners .........

Windows xp have inbuilt drivers. ......

Go to controlpanel and by using Add hardware wizard install ur Hardware with the pre-installed drivers .. . ...

It will work perfectly. . .. .
    Follow the same for vista also
    Monday, March 3, 2008 3:25 PM
  • I have the same problem as first poster. Windows Vista Home Premium. Epson Perfection 2400 Photo scanner.

This scanner previously worked great on prior computer (Windows XP). But then I bought a new Vista computer.

Removed old version scanner driver (XP) using Control Panel removal tool.

Downloaded and attempted to install new "Vista" driver from Epson website. Then received ERROR message that "downloaded driver was found, but cannot be used" or something similar. "Refer to manufacturer's web site."

Epson tried to be helpful by email, but in the end were frustrated too and gave me a Customer Service phone number to call. Telephone Customer Service (starting in U.S., then upgraded to Phillipines) worked very hard and were very pleasant, but simply were not able to suggest anything more than REMOVE and REINSTALL. They worked with me for about one and one-half hours while they tried to solve this. I have gone through the same procedure a number of times with no success. (F.Y.I., I also have several times done a deep search in Vista for both "Epson" and "twain" and deleted every interation of those which had not otherwise been removed, that I was able to find.) 

I did check for Vista's pre-loaded scanner drivers and surprisingly found only drivers for a couple of Xerox's and Kodak's on my HP machine. Since my computer was purchased in Feb. 2007, apparently Microsoft had not yet preloaded a lot of drivers, and Microsoft updates apparently do not address this.

This is the only hardware that I owned which I have not been able to use on Vista.

Monday, March 3, 2008 10:24 PM