none
Help! WHS files deleted by mistake, and I get error message when trying to restore... RRS feed

• Question

• During a cleanup on my windows home server (WHS 2003) I accidentally deleted a folder under the “users” directory named “A” (\\HOMESERVER\users\A ) that had a lot of personal docs of high value to me ( ouchL …).  I did this from the windows home server console. 

When I deleted “A” the folder “users” (\\HOMESERVER\users\ ) automatically disappeared at the same time (because no other users had folders under this directory?).  I tried creating a test user and the ”users” folder then reappeared together with test.  I then tried using excel to open some files I had recently worked on and to my surprise I was able to open them even though the files were in folder “A”.  The folder “A” became visible in windows explorer, but when clicking on it I get the error message:

“Windows cannot access \\HOMESERVER\users\A.  You do not have permissions to access \\Homeserver\users\A. Contact your network administrator to request access”

I then tried to restore the previous version of the folder.  What happens is this: using windows explorer I see the “users” folder on the homeserver.  By right clicking on the “users” folder I select “restore previous versions”.  This looks very fine and I get presented with options of the old versions that I can restore from.  BUT: no matter which version I select, I get the message:

“You need permissions to perform this action.  You need permission from the computer’s administrator to make changes to this folder”

The user name I am logged into the PC has “administrator” rights on the PC.  I have also granted “Full” rights (instead of “Read” or “None”) to the same username in the windows home server

I have tried “restore previous versions” on other folders on the server and it seems to work fine. 

I’d greatly appreciate it if someone could help me on the right track to restore the deleted folder and all its subfolders.

Thursday, September 8, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• If you have one, the best way to recover your files is to restore them from a backup. Previous versions functionality is known not to work reliably with Windows Home Server, and Microsoft doesn't support it's use, so you may be (probably will be) unable to actually recover the files you need that way.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 9, 2011 1:41 AM
  • Thanks for the respons. I do not have a backup of most of the files in the folder:(

Friday, September 9, 2011 4:46 AM
  • Depending on exactly what you did and how you did it, it may still be possible to recover your files.

To see if you can still recover your files:

• Check each drive in your storage pool to see if there is anything in <drive>:\DE\Shares\Users\<user>. You may have to assign some drives drive letters to do this.
    • If you find files in these locations, copy them to external storage (a share on another computer, an external HDD, etc.)
    • Remove the user from your server entirely.
    • Recreate the user.
    • Copy the files back to your server.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, September 9, 2011 12:28 PM
  • I was able to save alot of files (but not all unfortunately) with the method you listed, Ken.  Some other files were visible under "recent files" in the programs used (excel, sketchup, word,...)and I could reopen them there and save them on another drive, even if the same files were not visible on the Homeserver.

Thanks alot for your help, Ken!

Saturday, September 10, 2011 8:27 AM