none
what typ of external drives to add? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built server that is a SFF and only has one internal SATA HD and one low profile PCI slot. I need to add more drive space and have been looking at external enclosures. Anyone out there in my same boat and if so what type of external drive did you add? I could just go with USB, which is probably the easiest or buy a PCI esata card, although most cards i see seem to be PCI-e or PCI-x. Any major advantages to the Esata over the USB? Thanks

Mike
    Friday, November 20, 2009 10:22 PM

All replies

• I have a home built server that is a SFF and only has one internal SATA HD and one low profile PCI slot. I need to add more drive space and have been looking at external enclosures. Anyone out there in my same boat and if so what type of external drive did you add? I could just go with USB, which is probably the easiest or buy a PCI esata card, although most cards i see seem to be PCI-e or PCI-x. Any major advantages to the Esata over the USB? Thanks

Mike
    You should avoid using USB drives as part of the storage pool.  Other users have had issues with those types of drives disappearing/powering themselves down, causing WHS to send out all sorts of error messages.  (However, they work well for server backup.)
    Friday, November 20, 2009 11:26 PM
  • Along those lines. Is it wise to go with firewire to NORCO 12 drive bay. Will this work and will it format all my drives in the NORCO drives to add to the pool when and if I hook it up?

Thanks,
    Marion
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Along those lines. Is it wise to go with firewire to NORCO 12 drive bay.

I am not aware of any issues with FireWire like there are with USB.  However, you should set it up so that the drives are presented individually (not as "one big drive").

Will this work

I assume it would work (again, providing the each drive is separate).

and will it format all my drives in the NORCO drives to add to the pool when and if I hook it up?

Thanks,
    Marion
    Yes, all drives are automatically formatted before they are added to the storage pool.
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 6:25 AM
  • I see you say firewire doesnt have the same issues, but arnt most firewire drives also USB or is it just the USB its self. So Esata is the way to go, any recommend 2-4 bay enclosures? What about low profile PCI ESata cards? Tanks again for the help...

Mike
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 7:21 AM
  • Thank you again kariya 21 for your input. Yes the drives in the NORCO bays are seperate IDE drives so this should work. I think I will give this a try to expand my storage pool.

Marion
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I see you say firewire doesnt have the same issues, but arnt most firewire drives also USB or is it just the USB its self. So Esata is the way to go, any recommend 2-4 bay enclosures? What about low profile PCI ESata cards? Tanks again for the help...

Mike
    The only drive types that seem to be "less than perfect" for the storage pool are USB drives.  (Note that this is just an observation by seeing multiple posts in these forums with that drive type.)  I don't recall ever seeing anyone post a problem with FireWire or eSATA drives.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 6:42 AM