Windows XP Reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• When I purchased my PC it came with Windows Me but I was promised a free upgrade to Windows XP.  When XP was available the manufacturer sent me a disk with Windows XP but after weeks of trying I could never get it to work.  Then about a year later I used someone else's Window XP disk and it worked somehow.  Everything worked fine for about two years but then there was an error message that said my version of XP was not Genuine.  I worked with Microsoft for a week or two but they wouldn't help me out so I followed the advice of someone on this forum and went out on the Internet and found a program that created a valid key for my loaded Windows XP.  Since then everything has worked fine and I get all the latest updates and so forth.  But now I want to reinstall Windows XP on my sluggish PC but I don't think I have the original disk anymore but I do have a Windows XP disk from another computer.

Is there a way I can reinstall Windows XP using this copy I have from another computer?  Should I simply write down the current Key being used on the installed copy of XP or do I need to do something else?
    Monday, September 14, 2009 7:32 AM

Answers

• No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:33 PM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 14, 2009 1:12 PM
  • No reply from original poster.

Closing thread as Answered.

Darin MS
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:33 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:33 PM