Windows Re-install RRS feed

• Question

• I rencently took my computer in for some work and I was told that windows had recieved an error and they told me that I needed to re-install windows. I went through the install perfectly but now it needs a validation code.  The disc I have that came with the computer does not have the code and ive put every 25 digit code on my computer on the validation screen and they wont work. Do i have to purcase another version of windows to get windows operable again? thanks

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: 0x0
    Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-HM8FM-TCFCW-3V4VD
    Windows Product Key Hash: kLMTrgMvB3cY0p8EpJZJEhD+FV4=
    Windows Product ID: 89572-008-0000025-71339
    Windows Product ID Type: 5
    Windows License Type: Retail
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {A68BC28C-6640-45FC-A9F6-519260B5B113}(1)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Home Basic
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6000.vista_gdr.071023-1545
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-282-80041010_025D1FF3-170-80041010_025D1FF3-171-1_025D1FF3-434-80040154_025D1FF3-178-80040154_025D1FF3-179-2_025D1FF3-185-80070002_025D1FF3-199-3

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{A68BC28C-6640-45FC-A9F6-519260B5B113}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>6.0.6000.2.00010300.0.0.002</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-3V4VD</PKey><PID>89572-008-0000025-71339</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-124034618-2135991816-4282240401</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway</Manufacturer><Model>GT5458E</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20070409000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>F0313507018400E8</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>GATEWA</OEMID><OEMTableID>SYSTEM  </OEMTableID></OEM><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:35 AM

Answers

• Hi JeremyB33,

Computers, that are built by large manufactures, that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is installed on all Vista computers from that manufacturer and is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home).

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. This key is unique to your computer and is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be manually activated, and you must Activate by Phone.

I am assuming that your computer originally came with Vista pre-installed. But it appears you re-installed Vista using a Retail disk. OEM keys will not work in a Retail install.

To resolve the issue, you need to use the disk, that came with the computer, to re-install Vista. Once you reinstall using the disk that came with your computer, the OEM SLP key will automaticly be entered into Vista, as well and you should not be required to Activate windows.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Hello Jeremy,

"Vista was already activated when i bought the computer new. The disc I used to put the new windows on was an upgrade disc that came with the computer."

Yes, because it has the OEM SLP in Vista (please see my above post regarding OEM SLP keys.)

"The disc I used to put the new windows on was an upgrade disc that came with the computer."

That is a Vista Upgrade disk, that is for upgrading Vista, not reinstalling Vista.   You need to reinstall using the Windows Restore media.

"I have 2 different Product Key numbers , one that is on the back of the computer and an additional sticker that came with the computer.  The one on the back of the Computer says " Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct"

Yes, the one on the back of your computer is the COA SLP key ( please see my above post regarding COA SLP keys)

"Is it possible for me to activate by phone and if so what is the number I call?"

At this point, no. Your computer currently has a Retail version of Vista. Only Retail Keys work in Retail Vista.  You need to reinstall Vista using the Windows Restore media that came with your computer (all manufacturers include a Windows Restore process with thier computers). The Windows Restore Media may be on a disk that came with your computer or it may be located on a partition on the computer's hard drive. Each computer manufacturer does their Windows Restore process differently, so please see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the manufacturer of the computer, for help with the Windows Restore process.

Please Note: using the Windows Restore Process is the only way for you to get your copy of Vista working, without having to buy another copy of Vista.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Attention Forum All Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:49 PM

All replies

•  Do your have the product key for the version of Windows Vista Home Basic that you installed?  Is it an upgrade product key?
    Please note: I am not a Microsoft employee...only a voluntary forum contributor.
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 2:39 PM
  • Hi JeremyB33,

Computers, that are built by large manufactures, that come with Vista Pre-Installed, come with two (2) Product Keys:

1) OEM SLP: This key comes pre-installed in Vista, when it comes from the Factory. This key is installed on all Vista computers from that manufacturer and is geared to work with the special instructions found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when Vista was installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Vista looks at the motherboard and sees the special instructions and Self-Activates. (that's why you did not need to Activate your computer after you brought it home).

2) COA SLP: This is the Product key that you see on the sticker on the side (or bottom) of your computer. This key is unique to your computer and is a valid product key, but should only be used in limited situations. The key must be manually activated, and you must Activate by Phone.

I am assuming that your computer originally came with Vista pre-installed. But it appears you re-installed Vista using a Retail disk. OEM keys will not work in a Retail install.

To resolve the issue, you need to use the disk, that came with the computer, to re-install Vista. Once you reinstall using the disk that came with your computer, the OEM SLP key will automaticly be entered into Vista, as well and you should not be required to Activate windows.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager

Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Vista was already activated when i bought the computer new. The disc I used to put the new windows on was an upgrade disc that came with the computer.

I have 2 different Product Key numbers , one that is on the back of the computer and an additional sticker that came with the computer.  The one on the back of the Computer says " Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct"

The additional sticker I have list some programs that came with the computer.

Is it possible for me to activate by phone and if so what is the number I call?

Thanks
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 9:46 PM
  • Hello Jeremy,

"Vista was already activated when i bought the computer new. The disc I used to put the new windows on was an upgrade disc that came with the computer."

Yes, because it has the OEM SLP in Vista (please see my above post regarding OEM SLP keys.)

"The disc I used to put the new windows on was an upgrade disc that came with the computer."

That is a Vista Upgrade disk, that is for upgrading Vista, not reinstalling Vista.   You need to reinstall using the Windows Restore media.

"I have 2 different Product Key numbers , one that is on the back of the computer and an additional sticker that came with the computer.  The one on the back of the Computer says " Windows Vista Home Premium OEMAct"

Yes, the one on the back of your computer is the COA SLP key ( please see my above post regarding COA SLP keys)

"Is it possible for me to activate by phone and if so what is the number I call?"

At this point, no. Your computer currently has a Retail version of Vista. Only Retail Keys work in Retail Vista.  You need to reinstall Vista using the Windows Restore media that came with your computer (all manufacturers include a Windows Restore process with thier computers). The Windows Restore Media may be on a disk that came with your computer or it may be located on a partition on the computer's hard drive. Each computer manufacturer does their Windows Restore process differently, so please see the documentation that came with your computer or contact the manufacturer of the computer, for help with the Windows Restore process.

Please Note: using the Windows Restore Process is the only way for you to get your copy of Vista working, without having to buy another copy of Vista.

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Manager
    Thursday, August 7, 2008 11:49 PM