New Mirrored Drives - Backup Drive? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, issue with my new drives.

Okay, I had 4 .15 TB drives and mirrored two and it went thru the resynching and all is fine. However at the end of the mirroring process for each drive I have the following:

Drive 1 with 1.4 TB WITH 217GB Free? And

Drive 2 with 1.4 TB with 991 GB free. Strange to me. Now, down below under Server Backups is a drive icon without a name and no way to click on it. I think maybe that has somehow become the Backup Drive thus chewing up all the space on the one drive? But how do I get rid of it? I may have had that one as my backup in the beta build but I cannot be certain. I was going to reformat again but don't know if that would do it.

I am not sure what is going on so can anyone offer any ideas? Also, I was thinking, do you think it would be better to take all four 1.5 drives and build a RAID 5 pool? I think that would get me 4.5 TB with the other drive for parity?

FYI, I don't have any issues deleting or redoing any of this as I don't have any data there yet so.

Thanks in advance....

Monday, November 28, 2011 9:31 PM

Answers

• Yes Phil you did on the original, thanks!

I deleted all of the partitions on the drives before mirroring, thats what is strange. And there is something whacked as the BACKUP drive has no name? I was going to just try formating them all but.

Okay, I am going to try the RAID5 route.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:53 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:29 PM

All replies

• I did not answer your post, where I am not sure you marked the correct answer to your original question, as I am not sure what the problem is. Did you have partitions of different sizes already set up on the disks - that may have led to the results you are seeing. Try removing the partitions and re-mirroring.

RAID 5 would indeed give you 4.5TB of data space.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, November 28, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Yes Phil you did on the original, thanks!

I deleted all of the partitions on the drives before mirroring, thats what is strange. And there is something whacked as the BACKUP drive has no name? I was going to just try formating them all but.

Okay, I am going to try the RAID5 route.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Thanks!

• Marked as answer by rdmsys Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:53 PM
    Monday, November 28, 2011 11:29 PM