WHS / WinFast TV Card & Partitioning RRS feed

• Question

• hi i have a Winfast TV card which is on the PC i am now using as my Win Home Server2008.. anyways before install i had 4x Partitions on my PC which i had lost and knew i was going to lose... now that WHS is installed i cant get my TV card working... i have tried many ways to partition the hard disk i have so that i can install XP on it & still get to use my TV card, but nothing works... i was wondering if anyone had any advice on either getting the TV card to work or partitioning WHS for dual boot...
    all my other PC's, which link up to my WHS don't have the size or the speed to run my TV card effectively so moving my TV card to another PC is really out of the question....
    can anyone shed some light on my problem... 
    Huss
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 11:14 AM

Answers

• Probably Leadtek doesn't support Windows Server 2003, the base operating system for Windows Home Server. You don't say what model of tuner card you have, but you should check their web site to see if there are appropriate drivers.

Even if you can find drivers, though, Windows Home Server isn't designed to function as a media center PC. You may be able to get it to work after some trial and error, but if an internal tuner is a primary requirement, probably you will have a better experience overall with Vista. Dual booting a Windows Home Server computer is also not supported.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:21 PM

All replies

• Probably Leadtek doesn't support Windows Server 2003, the base operating system for Windows Home Server. You don't say what model of tuner card you have, but you should check their web site to see if there are appropriate drivers.

Even if you can find drivers, though, Windows Home Server isn't designed to function as a media center PC. You may be able to get it to work after some trial and error, but if an internal tuner is a primary requirement, probably you will have a better experience overall with Vista. Dual booting a Windows Home Server computer is also not supported.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 12:21 PM
  • im using a winfast dtv 2000, and i have searched their homepage and even contacted support, and they said that it only supports xp & vista... and after trial and error, i am able to get the drivers working, but once i install the app to actually watch the tv, after restart it gives me an error then when i ignor and open app, i get nothing but a blank screen... are u saying i can create a network like the one on WHS by using vista ultimate...
    Huss
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:00 AM
  • I'm not saying that you'll be able to duplicate the functionality of Windows Home Server with Vista. I'm saying that you'll probably have a better user experience with Vista if having a tuner in a PC is your primary requirement, because Windows Home Server isn't intended for that use, and the base operating system is not well supported by tuner manufacturers.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:53 PM
  • i have both vista and xp.. would i be able to at least create a work group by using them and can i log-on remotely from 1pc to another... u see i need a pc to be able to backup all my files and also to download /upload to and from.... eg.. my notebook has only 80GB HDD and the files i am down/uploading are over 80GB, so what i'm currently doing is using my notebook as the main workstation but when downloading, i'm sending the file straight to the server... can i create a workgroup without having a server os, and still do the same thing..
    Huss
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 8:10 PM