Backing up to an external memory stick RRS feed

• Question

• I have a memory stick to use for backing up my data.  The first time, everything went fine.  Now, each time OneCare tries to back up the "additional" data since the last backup, it tells me there isn't enough room on the memory stick.  Apparently, it isn't just backing up the "additional" data, because I don't add that much to my computer every month.  Based on information I got from the "Help" link on OneCare, I figured I needed to delete the prior backup and do a full backup each time.  But I can't delete the earlier backup file.  I tried to use the "Delete a backup set folder from an external hard disk in Microsoft Windows XP" information I found on OneCare, but when I double-click on the drive letter that corresponds to my memory stick, I only get a "Windows One Care Backup" folder (not the Windows Live OneCare folder the directions say I'll get).  And the "Windows One Care Backup" folder doesn't have a security tab when I right click on it -- so I can't change the security settings.

I want to be able to just put my memory stick into the computer once a month, hit the "backup" link in OneCare and have my data backed up without having to buy a series of memory sticks (I have a 4GB stick now, and only 3.5GB to back up on my computer).  What do I need to do to be able to do that?

Monday, February 11, 2008 7:55 PM

Answers

• It will backup new *and* changed files. A 4 gig stick is really not big enough for backup unless you are only backing up a specific file type.

I would suggest simply formatting the memory stick in order to re-use it for a new backup, but consider using an external hard disk or DVDs to backup - it will be easier.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:58 AM

All replies

• It will backup new *and* changed files. A 4 gig stick is really not big enough for backup unless you are only backing up a specific file type.

I would suggest simply formatting the memory stick in order to re-use it for a new backup, but consider using an external hard disk or DVDs to backup - it will be easier.

-steve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Thanks for responding, Steve.  But if I want to use the memory stick for my back ups, is there a way to delete what's on there each month so I can do a full backup each time?  I guess the real question I'm asking is "how do I format the memory stick so I can use it each month for backup?"  Kim

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 6:05 AM
  • Open Windows Explorer and right click the thumb drive and select Format. That should do it.

Alternatively, Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management, select the thumb drive and then format from there.

-seve

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Thanks very much, Steve.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 1:35 AM