Search Engines RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone use the Alexa search engine/toolbar?

Does anyone use any other search engines besides Google that they want to mention?
    Friday, February 16, 2007 10:55 AM

Answers

• Before Google was invented I used to use Alta Vista, which is still useful at times. The first one I used was WebCrawler, which was good until AltaVista overtook it. It still exists, but last time I tried it it didn't give me much. Ask Jeeves can be good too. One problem with Google and AV is that they sometimes give you too much! Better indexing is going to be increasingly necessary.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 10:56 AM

All replies

• Before Google was invented I used to use Alta Vista, which is still useful at times. The first one I used was WebCrawler, which was good until AltaVista overtook it. It still exists, but last time I tried it it didn't give me much. Ask Jeeves can be good too. One problem with Google and AV is that they sometimes give you too much! Better indexing is going to be increasingly necessary.
    Friday, February 16, 2007 10:56 AM
  • used to be yahoo before google but now m stuck to google ..i try not to go to google site even my opera browser gives me search facility as a embedded search box...
    Friday, February 16, 2007 4:24 PM
  • I believe google has become synonymous with the word search and dominates any other search engine by far.

Although an interesting search engine i just found was www.chacha.com. Do check that out.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 5:50 AM
  • Hey guys,

Are you aware that Microsoft has a new search engine. Check out www.live.com. It gives very good result and the speed has impoved drastically. Try "Image" search in Live.com and its much better than Google. It has AJAX effects which you can note by moving you mouse over the images.

Thanks & Regards,
    Prathul Prabhakar
    Microsoft Student Partner
    http://student-partners.com/members/prathul.aspx
    http://xplore.wordpress.com

Monday, February 19, 2007 4:42 AM
  • Yes, i too used Alta Vista.. but thats not too helpful as compared to Google... I use Yahoo other than Google.. apart from search engine you can also use meta search engine i.e. DogPile.com. I found it good..
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 3:21 PM
  • I prefer Windows Live search engine and then Google!! Both are good.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 4:12 PM
  • At first i have used
    AltaVista
    now i am using
    Google
    Yet to get more scientifically use
    Yahoo (expanded)
    Friday, February 23, 2007 5:35 PM
  • is any one into search engine optimisation?
    Friday, February 23, 2007 8:54 PM
  • i use MSN search and google search...
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 8:41 AM
  • I also agree.. live.com is a good search engine and i liked its interface also...
    Monday, February 26, 2007 2:43 AM
  • yes I use Yahoo, Live Search and Info
    Monday, February 26, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Google is rocking
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:11 PM
  • google is the best.. then y do u go for other stuffs?
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:13 PM
  • apart from google, which is a general search engine, there are a number of very good search engines for specific needs.
    demoz.org/***-bb for shareware/***
    codeproject.com for codes
    technorati.com for blog search
    wikipedia.org for information search etc.

regards
    Sumit Dagar
    Tuesday, March 13, 2007 1:18 PM
  • Serach engine optimazation is the good for website ranking and traffic of website
    Thursday, June 25, 2020 7:14 AM