eSATA RRS feed

• Question

• Does anyone konw when microsoft will patch OneCare to include eSATA as a backup destination? Its idiotic they limited the destinations. Another case of microsot assuming it can read the minds of customers.

Friday, November 23, 2007 5:22 AM

Answers

• Unfortunately, eSATA is a badly defined and followed specification, so supporting it directly may never be possble, at least for many of the older and cheaper designs that are in regular use, though it has been investigated.

For that reason among others, the ability to backup to a Windows Share was included in WLOC 2.0. Originally, this required that the PC be setup as a Hub, but was supposed to also work for any OneCare PC in the final release. I haven't attempted this myself, so perhaps you can give it a try and let us know how it works for you?

Simply create a share, then use the Network Location option in backup to select that share as the backup target.

OneCareBear

Friday, November 23, 2007 9:54 PM

All replies

• Unfortunately, eSATA is a badly defined and followed specification, so supporting it directly may never be possble, at least for many of the older and cheaper designs that are in regular use, though it has been investigated.

For that reason among others, the ability to backup to a Windows Share was included in WLOC 2.0. Originally, this required that the PC be setup as a Hub, but was supposed to also work for any OneCare PC in the final release. I haven't attempted this myself, so perhaps you can give it a try and let us know how it works for you?

Simply create a share, then use the Network Location option in backup to select that share as the backup target.

OneCareBear

Friday, November 23, 2007 9:54 PM
  •  

Funny that I can do the backups from Vista but not from OneCare - must be confusing for others as well.
    Friday, September 5, 2008 3:23 PM
  • Why is that funny? It is a completely different backup routine?

-steve

Friday, September 5, 2008 3:39 PM