More and More Validation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• I seem to be running into more and more validation problems, and the time has come for me to sort them out once and for all.

I have a genuine Windows XP product. About 18 months ago, my daughter's EX-boyfriend who works for a large corporate IT department loaded a "more up-to-date version of Windows XP & MS Office". For over a year there were no problems, but I gather in the past few months things have changed and the new WGA update has identified that my version of WinXP is not genuine. I have now turned off the Automatic Updates facility.

Now I can't use Windows Media Player to play my music. So I have had to work around that for a few months.

A few days ago I bought a GPS system that has the ability to synchronizes with my MS Outlook Contacts (I'm a Sales Manager and I want all my current & future customer's locations on my new GPS device). I can't get my PC to recognizes the GPS device - tried 'Find New Hardware' but got nothing. But I can charge it up using the USB port. It appears that my GPS device relies on Active Synch but because of the non-genuine WinXP I can't download Active Synch. Does this sound correct?

By reading some of the threads here, it appears that I need to re-install WinXP from the genuine WinXP disc. Is this correct? When I tried to re-install I get a message that "the version of WinXP you are trying to install is older than your current version and ALL files and settings will be lost!!" Is this correct?? I note that the version of MS Office, that the old boyfriend installed, is also "114 Blocked VLK" and that I need to purchase my own copy.

Do I have to start from scratch by backing-up everything, re-installing my genuine WinXP, buy a genuine MS Office suite, re-install all my hundreds of applications programs, re-install all my email, etc. I have four seperate users accounts on my PC - wife, daughter, son & me. Will I lose all their accounts and their settings also? Are there any tricks or tips to more promptly restore my PC to genuine status.

Here is my report:-

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Validation Code: 3
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-W6Q28-B3VDG-CTX9C
    Windows Product Key Hash: ObVIR2n/FhI5KfjTJAelrehi/dQ=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-642-4406923-23470
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {81B26E78-5524-492C-A369-9C8B38C6E82E}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.36.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 3
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.7.18.7
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: FCEE394C-2989-80070002_025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{81B26E78-5524-492C-A369-9C8B38C6E82E}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-CTX9C</PKey><PID>55274-642-4406923-23470</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-507921405-1897051121-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>MICRO-STAR INTL, CO.,LTD.</Manufacturer><Model>MS-6743</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>6.00 PG</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="2"/><Date>20040917000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>44E631E70184805D</HWID><UserLCID>0C09</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>W. Australia Standard Time(GMT+08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90280409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>39476F84C4B4004</Val><Hash>4iCnywwNW1w4s9ukTIwGMGxyGic=</Hash><Pid>54185-640-0000025-17128</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Thanks. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Aussie George

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 9:58 AM

Answers

• Hello Aussie George,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product keys used to install Windows XP Professional and Office XP Professional with FrontPage is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx for details regarding Setting up Windows XP.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit for $149 USD.  You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).  Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Morning Aussie George :-),

Yes I would highly recommend that you completely reformat your hard drive using the following guidance: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx and then installing each of your applications. Next ensure you use windows updates and install all of your critical updates for Windows XP. Also I would recommend you research Windows Defender and install as well. You will receive protection running in the background. Ensure you have a good Anti Virus software installed and perform updates regularly as well as check your system by using it. 

Hope this has helped you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:39 PM

All replies

• You can use the file and settings transfer wizard to save the data and settings of each user.   Make sure to save them on a different disk or removable media.

You can then re-install your genuine XP, update it, install your software, then re-import your users.

Optional: You may even want to put in a new hard drive to install to so you can preserve the old one in case something gets missed.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Hello Aussie George,

Thank you for posting your diagnostic information. Diagnostic results help our team in determining the root cause of your issue. We are sorry to hear about the problem your currently experiencing. I can see right away what the issue is and why you are not passing validation.  Unfortunately, the product keys used to install Windows XP Professional and Office XP Professional with FrontPage is a Volume License Key (VLK) that has been blocked per the request of the legal VLK holder.  As a rule, VLK editions of either an Operating System and/or Office should not be sold to individual consumers. Businesses, schools and governments normally use VLK editions for flexibility in installing many computers. Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP and MS Office are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer. Please visit http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx for details regarding Setting up Windows XP.

If you want to keep Windows XP Pro installed on the computer, then your best option is to participate in the Genuine Windows Offer and purchase a WGA Kit for $149 USD.  You will be emailed a Product Key that can be used immediately for your currently non- genuine installation of XP Pro, and then about 2-3 weeks later you will receive a genuine Microsoft Windows XP Pro full retail CD and COA, which you can use to do a clean installation (recommended).  Also please review the Validation Advisor for further guidance at:

https://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/ValidationHelp.aspx

First, if this comes as a total surprise to you, please visit the retailer where you purchased the computer or operating system and let them know the operating system is a counterfeit copy.  Please print a copy of the diagnostic report so you may show them proof for the VLK status. Request they immediately reimburse you and/or provide a Genuine Copy.

Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) is here to help protect YOU, our valued customer. It is important for more people like you to report piracy @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/default.mspx  who have become victims. Microsoft legal will follow up on all leads provided.  Submitting piracy reports will assist in stopping unscrupulous business practices.  We CANNOT determine the "Quality" level of non-Genuine submissions and cannot guarantee such a thing here on the forum. You may be eligible for free software if you have high quality counterfeit discs as illustrated here:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/content.aspx?displaylang=en&pg=counterfeit

Again, we are sorry to hear about your situation. Please be sure to backup or otherwise offload any data from the hard disk because a clean installation/reimaging will destroy all personal user data on the hard drive. Please don't hesitate re-posting if you need further assistance.  

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 26, 2007 7:41 PM
  • Stephen,

Thanks for your informative reply. If I choose the option to purchase a WGA kit, you recommend that I should do a "clean installation". Does this clean installation mean that I will need to re-install all my existing applications?

Also thanks to Radical Maximus (great name) for the suggestion about using the FAST Wizard.

Aussie George 

Thursday, December 27, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Morning Aussie George :-),

Yes I would highly recommend that you completely reformat your hard drive using the following guidance: 

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/default.mspx and then installing each of your applications. Next ensure you use windows updates and install all of your critical updates for Windows XP. Also I would recommend you research Windows Defender and install as well. You will receive protection running in the background. Ensure you have a good Anti Virus software installed and perform updates regularly as well as check your system by using it. 

Hope this has helped you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, December 27, 2007 4:39 PM