Attaching cd/dvd burner via USB port on HP MediaSmart Home Server? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to backup files on the Server by directly burning to external USB cd/dvd burner,
    as caching data to a laptop before a burn is time-consuming?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:07 PM

Answers

All replies

• With the release of Power Pack 1 this past summer, Windows Home Server includes the ability to back up your shares to an external HDD, connected via USB, Firewire, eSATA, etc. (any external technology supported by Windows Server 2003 with appropriate drivers). There's no need to back up to CD/DVD-R.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:11 PM
  • I have had WHS/MediaSmart Homeserver for about 11 months now - lost every backup I made through
    database inconsistency error (did all that I was told to do, but ultimately lost ALL backups). Now, I have a
    Mount Backup fault - the three good backups (good?) I have now will not open...
    So, I am sure that I must resort to hard, physical cds and dvds to be sure that any backup I make
    will survive, even to the extent of using Acronis: after all, it was the WHS/MediaSmart setup that
    was meant to make using something like Acronis redundant!!! Sheesh :(
    Can such backups to dvd or cd be made via the e-sata USB ports?
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 6:09 PM
  • Backing up your server through the Home Server Backup tool is not the same as a home computer backup to your server. It's files in a mirror of your shares, on an external drive.

Using a CD/DVD burner with WHS is unsupported; you'll have to install software and drivers yourself, rather than as add-ins, and you'll have to use that software by logging in to your home server either through physical console or remote desktop.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:27 PM
  • Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by Stonechatz Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:50 PM
    Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:50 PM
  •  My backup database is over 500gb, I do not even want to try to copy this to dvd's.  You need the backup database backup add-in to make backups to a hard drive.  You may then take this backup drive offsite also.

Still......

Grey

Grey
    Monday, January 12, 2009 2:42 PM