New Computer For WHS2011 Causes Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I have usually used older computers for my WHS2011 servers. I decided to replace a Dell Inspiron 530 with a new Dell Inspiron 3650 unit. I set the BIOS to legacy (as opposed to UEFI) and did a fresh install of WHS2011. After working around some problems (eg, no driver for network), I got WHS2011 installed and working. Next, I ran Windows Update. It showed 181 required and 7 optional updates. I have tried installing them in various ways (30 at a time, all at once, etc.), but a some point the system fails to shut down. After forcing a shut down and rebooting, the system stops in a blank screen after the initial WHS splash screen and hard drive activity stops. (As an example, I installed all 181 required updates at once. The system rebooted and when it came back up, Windows update reported five (5) required updates remained to be installed. I then said to install those updates. When installation was complete, I rebooted the system. This time, the system failed to shut down. After allowing several hours for it to shut down, I manually shut it down by holding in the power button until it turned off. When I tried to boot the system, it failed to start - showing a blank screen after the initial WHS splash screen.) I tried booting into "safe mode" and also trying "last known good configuration". No go!

I have tried several times to get WHS2011 installed and updated. The failure is always the same (and repeatable).

Has anyone else run into problems trying to get WHS2011 installed on newer systems? Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards -

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi!

After posting, inspiration struck. In BIOS, disabled Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and system booted without any problem. Wanted to document this in case others encounter this problem.

Life's good again!

Regards -

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Marked as answer by tyrone3a Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hi!

After posting, inspiration struck. In BIOS, disabled Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 2.0 and system booted without any problem. Wanted to document this in case others encounter this problem.

Life's good again!

Regards -

Ric Schecter (tyrone3a)

• Marked as answer by tyrone3a Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:44 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:44 PM
  • Hi,

Good to hear that you have solved this issue by yourself. In addition, thanks for sharing your solution in the forum as it would be helpful to anyone who encounters similar issues.

If there is anything else we can do for you, please feel free to post in the forum.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 23, 2016 6:54 AM