Low Power Mobile on Desktop WHS RRS feed

• Question

•  

I haven’t seen many MoDt systems in these forums, probably due to high initial cost.  Perhaps this system will have a lower total cost of ownership over the long haul due to power savings.  I built it about a month ago and I am looking for improvements because this one is going to my brother upon WHS launch.   It was an easy build with a smooth WHS installation.  I’ve had no downtime, it runs cool (reporting 28C idle and mid 30’s streaming video to the Xbox360) and it’s dead quiet.

Tyan Tomcat S3095-G3NR Intel 945GM Flex ATX Server Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 Merom 1.66GHz Socket M Processor

Noctua NC-U6 passive chipset cooler on the CPU

Kingston 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 667

Adaptec 1430SA 4-port SATA Controller Card PCIe 4x (not yet bought)

2-SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM SATA

SeaSonic S12 Energy+ SS-550HT ATX12V/EPS12V

LIAN LI PC-A05B Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total Cost $1,140

My thoughts on my choices:

I fought an Asus N4L-VM for a week before conceding defeat and recognizing that stability was paramount for a server board.  If you’re thinking about the N4L, check out the Asus forum first.  The S3095 is server quality for $210, and the Flex footprint allows for neat wiring and good airflow.

The T5500 seems to be plenty enough CPU with no hiccups streaming and it rarely hits 50%.  The power-down features allow it to idle near ambient temperature.  It’s the lowest power Intel mobile with 64-bit capability.

Neither the MB nor the retail CPU come with a heatsink, but the fanless Noctua has dual heat pipes and fits perfectly.  It rotates to sit directly in the path of case airflow.

Only two slots on the board, so I maxed it out for dual channel and Kingston DDR2 667 is cheap.

The MB only has two SATA ports but is set for expansion with PCI and PCIe 4x slots.  The yet-to-be-purchased Adaptec 1430 will bring me to 6 SATA ports under JBOD.  They have drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit Server 2003.

The Samsung T-series gets good reviews and is very quiet.  Only two 500MB right now for RC1 testing, and I really want to use minimum 1TB drives to minimize power and slot usage.   When the 1TB price competition begins, the Samsungs will have the lowest platter count. 

Tyan tells me to use EPS12V, so I obliged, but that means minimum 500W.  However, the Energy+ scales down well keeping high efficiency at 20% with no fan noise whatsoever.  I think the fan goes passive. 

Lian Li for under $100, so why not.  Actually I think this is the perfect case for me, except it’s the A05 and the A06 is coming out with better front vents.  It has reverse MB mounting and back to front 120mm fans, placing the Noctua in the airflow.  I hooked the rear intake 120 to the cpu fan controller and set the MB to scale no lower than 70% at which point it’s a quiet 1000 rpm.  I used a manual setting on the front exhaust fan for a silent 800 rpm.  It has 3 internal 3.5” bays with rubber mounts and the external bays can convert to 2x3.5” with a Lian Li kit down the road, so hopefully no external drives needed.  The front exhaust is right next to the HDD’s for cooling.

That’s it, sorry to be long-winded, comments appreciated………….Fred

Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:45 PM

Answers

•  abobader wrote:
    heh, my god, I can swear I thought I read 6 HDD's as configurations issue Smile

yah, 250w more like as Ken said.

Sorry.

This is what I mean. So, with 2 HDDs you agree with Ken that 250W could handle the startup load but when you thought it had 6 drives, you said it needed 800W. 4 more drives needs 550W extra? 137W per extra drive? Please explain how you came up with 800W? Seriously, even when you add overhead (325W) and room for drive expansion 400W would do. One of the SLI rigs on my LAN only needs a 450W with 2 PCIe video cards and 4 drives. WHS doesn't need SLI. Wink

500W is, indeed, overkill but he already owns one, it'll do.

Since the OP asked about smaller PSUs I found this:
    http://www.buildtoorderservers.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=76&idproduct=638 (not familiar with Zippy, but they do make the EPS12V PSU in sizes under 500W so others must too.)

Hope that helps...

EDIT:
    No reply?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Only some issue with PSU (power supply unit), you need higher, let say 800w range at min.

I do not think your need the option of that RAID as JBOD, only the connectoers to connect the HDD's then WHS will do the rest.

My best.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 4:03 PM
  • I don't see much to comment about other than the 500W PSU will do.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:12 PM
  • When pc need to be as a server, power issue rise high in considration.

Even if you calc the requriement for your hardware need, you still need to have like free %25 over the output usage.

Getting 90 to 95% from your PSU, lead to crashing the system, like app freaz, ram problem and hard disk as well.

Not only the output power, but the clean pure power that PSU could do and manage also very important issue.

My best.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:24 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    When pc need to be as a server, power issue rise high in considration.

Even if you calc the requriement for your hardware need, you still need to have like free %25 over the output usage.

Getting 90 to 95% from your PSU, lead to crashing the system, like app freaz, ram problem and hard disk as well.

Not only the output power, but the clean pure power that PSU could do and manage also very important issue.

My best.

While a good PSU *is* important, 800W is OVERKILL. 500W will do with the HW he's noted.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Heh. Even 500w is overkill. The system as quoted should come in at under 250 watts, if everything is pulling maximum power at once. But headroom in a power supply is a good idea.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:00 PM
  • heh, my god, I can swear I thought I read 6 HDD's as configurations issue Smile

Sorry.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:04 PM
  •  

I wanted a 300W psu (and actually bought a fanless 300 when I was messing with the N4L), but I couldn't the Tyan-mandated EPS12V lower than 500W.  Looking at the power/effciency curve, I think I'm ok at low draw, but it's not cheap at $130.  If anyone finds smaller EPS12V, let me know.............Fred
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:29 PM
  •  Ken Warren wrote:

Heh. Even 500w is overkill. The system as quoted should come in at under 250 watts, if everything is pulling maximum power at once. But headroom in a power supply is a good idea.

I agree, 400-500W would leave room to add drives or accessories later too.
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:53 PM
  •  abobader wrote:
    heh, my god, I can swear I thought I read 6 HDD's as configurations issue Smile

Sorry.

This is what I mean. So, with 2 HDDs you agree with Ken that 250W could handle the startup load but when you thought it had 6 drives, you said it needed 800W. 4 more drives needs 550W extra? 137W per extra drive? Please explain how you came up with 800W? Seriously, even when you add overhead (325W) and room for drive expansion 400W would do. One of the SLI rigs on my LAN only needs a 450W with 2 PCIe video cards and 4 drives. WHS doesn't need SLI. Wink

500W is, indeed, overkill but he already owns one, it'll do.

Since the OP asked about smaller PSUs I found this:
    http://www.buildtoorderservers.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=76&idproduct=638 (not familiar with Zippy, but they do make the EPS12V PSU in sizes under 500W so others must too.)

Hope that helps...

EDIT:
    No reply?

Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Thanks for the link to Zippy.........gotta love that name for a psu.  There's a thorough review of it here http://www.systemcooling.com/zippy_psu-01.html and it get's thumbs up on performance, albiet efficiency is somewhat lacking at low draw.  But as you say, if there's one EPS12V 400, there's more, and the Zippy is only $89.  I'm planning a similar build on a second system, and the recipient of this one will never get past 2x500MB, so he may get the Zippy or a lookalike..........Fred
    Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:29 PM
  •  fwki wrote:
    Thanks for the link to Zippy.........gotta love that name for a psu.  There's a thorough review of it here http://www.systemcooling.com/zippy_psu-01.html and it get's thumbs up on performance, albiet efficiency is somewhat lacking at low draw.  But as you say, if there's one EPS12V 400, there's more, and the Zippy is only $89.  I'm planning a similar build on a second system, and the recipient of this one will never get past 2x500MB, so he may get the Zippy or a lookalike..........Fred

Look closer at Zippy then, I think I saw a 350W too. Wink

EDIT:
    NM, it was a 1U PSU. The 400W is what you want if you can't find others. Wink

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:36 PM
  • Zippy are good, mostly I look to them for 1U/2U rackmount cases.

But the OP said he getting Lian li mid tower cases, so probley he better off with more silent PSU brands multie fans as well, multi speed.

Regarding 800w/250w issue issue, I said 800 better becouse I look to this:

The MB only has two SATA ports but is set for expansion with PCI and PCIe 4x slots.  The yet-to-be-purchased Adaptec 1430 will bring me to 6 SATA ports under JBOD.  They have drivers for 32 bit and 64 bit Server 2003.

Then the OP want to build a stoarge server with WHS, so again, more power will be need it for that pci-e card.

They are many sites on the web to give you calc for your hardware watt's need it.

Back to that 800w psu issue, the manfuctores always rated the max output, here in this issue the 800, ok, we do not want to come to that peak issue, so let drop 100w, leave us with 700w (that just gussing example), and let take like 20% from that 700 (like many brand compines recommend free usage), then another 170w taking, left to us like 530w pure to use for our hardware.

Yes, I was very wrong to voice my mind, becouse that what I will use now days for any server build, I will not go down to less than 800w to buy, cheaper nowdays tho, but you are correct with 400-500, becouse i re-read it and found the OP want to go down on cost.

Also more power can come handy later on, if to make hardware upgrade or expanded issue.

To the topic starter, the PSU, is the most important hardware you put in your system, if it best in quality, then less problem you will face with your hardware operational.

My best.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 1:24 AM
  •  abobader wrote:

They are many sites on the web to give you calc for your hardware watt's need it.

I will not go down to less than 800w to buy, cheaper nowdays tho

You're just full of....contradictions.
    ...800w range at min.

You should have used one of those calculator sites instead of quoting SLI gaming rig PSU specs for a low power server.

You can use 800+W PSU in all of your servers, if you want, but that's just silly for most servers. Big Smile

Good luck...

Sunday, July 29, 2007 2:42 AM
  •  SME wrote:
     abobader wrote:

I will not go down to less than 800w to buy, cheaper nowdays tho

You're just full of....contradictions.
    ...800w range at min.

You should have used one of those calculator sites instead of quoting SLI gaming rig PSU specs for a low power server.

You can use 800+W PSU in all of your servers, if you want, but that's just silly for most servers. Big Smile

Good luck...

Silly for most servers? why is that, and what kind of server/s you talking about?

I have Two storage servers both have 1200w power supply, and I will build my third server with dual 1100w one (with raid6 24 hhd's).

For sure we talking on differnet "server" issue here Smile

Back to main topic issue, you are correct bud, 400w Smile

My best.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:14 AM