Turn off internet on windows home server but leave network up RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Friends,
    I hope somebody can help me in turning off just the internet on my windows home server but leaving the network up as i sometimes feel insecure (i have no antivirus on my windows home server). I turned off the remote access already. I tried to search on this topic but didnt find anything.
    Thanks
    Dockuttu
    Friday, March 21, 2008 1:44 AM

Answers

• Windows Home Server ships with Remote Access off and all of the ports set to subnet access only.  Your home server should be behind a router/firewall device that protects your home computers and home server.  If you go to the Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Remote Access - Web Site Connectivity and select "Turn Off" - this will set all of the Windows Firewall settings back to subnet access only.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 1:48 AM
  •  dockuttu wrote:
    Thanks for such a quick reply. My WHS is behind by Buffalo router and has only skype running on it. Since i have the remote access off does that mean that i am safe from any hacker intruding to my home computer.
    THanks
    dockuttu

If you have installed Skype on your home server, they you have 3rd party software that may have made firewall changes on the home server.  Without skype, you only need to follow the above steps to turn off remote access from the internet to your home server.

You want to check your Buffalo router/firewall to make sure that it does not have any 'port forwarding' setup to the IP address that your home server is using on your home network.   Your home server should be plugged in on the LAN side of the Buffalo router/firewall and should have IP address of something like 192.168.1.47

Your home server and home computer are completely separate devices.  You need to protect your home computer with similar checks on port forwarding from the router.  Also, as someone has previously mentioned, if you want to have extra protection, then you should install some anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) on your home computer and home server.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:08 PM

All replies

• Windows Home Server ships with Remote Access off and all of the ports set to subnet access only.  Your home server should be behind a router/firewall device that protects your home computers and home server.  If you go to the Windows Home Server Console - Settings - Remote Access - Web Site Connectivity and select "Turn Off" - this will set all of the Windows Firewall settings back to subnet access only.
    Friday, March 21, 2008 1:48 AM
  • Thanks for such a quick reply. My WHS is behind by Buffalo router and has only skype running on it. Since i have the remote access off does that mean that i am safe from any hacker intruding to my home computer.
    THanks
    dockuttu
    Friday, March 21, 2008 2:01 AM
  •  dockuttu wrote:
    Dear Friends,
    I(i have no antivirus on my windows home server).
    Dockuttu

Checkout the AVAST WHS antivirus package - not free but a very reasonable price for this level of protection - there is also a package with WHS licence plus 10 user licences, centrally managed, again at a very reasonable price.

ps I don't work for them - if I find a good product at a reasonable price I let it be known,

Friday, March 21, 2008 4:41 AM
  • another posibility could be to set your WHS to a static network IP and dont set a default gateway or dns address, you would then not be able to access the internet from the WHS - but windows updates would fail also
    Friday, March 21, 2008 9:20 AM
  •  dockuttu wrote:
    Thanks for such a quick reply. My WHS is behind by Buffalo router and has only skype running on it. Since i have the remote access off does that mean that i am safe from any hacker intruding to my home computer.
    THanks
    dockuttu

If you have installed Skype on your home server, they you have 3rd party software that may have made firewall changes on the home server.  Without skype, you only need to follow the above steps to turn off remote access from the internet to your home server.

You want to check your Buffalo router/firewall to make sure that it does not have any 'port forwarding' setup to the IP address that your home server is using on your home network.   Your home server should be plugged in on the LAN side of the Buffalo router/firewall and should have IP address of something like 192.168.1.47

Your home server and home computer are completely separate devices.  You need to protect your home computer with similar checks on port forwarding from the router.  Also, as someone has previously mentioned, if you want to have extra protection, then you should install some anti-malware (anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc.) on your home computer and home server.

Friday, March 21, 2008 3:08 PM