Advanced settings and listed program versions. RRS feed

• Question

• In the 'advanced' section of WLOC firewall setup I see mutiple entries for some programs, notably Internet Explorer. I have 17 entries for Internet Explorer, 8 at Version 7  and 9 at Version 6, including six identical 6.0.6001.18000 entries.

Assuming that most would be out of date and redundant I set all Version 6 entries to 'block' as an experiment thinking to delete them later. Internet Explorer ( Version 7.0.6001.18000 ) seemed not to notice at first but then on one particular launch I got a message notifying me that it had been blocked although it seemed not to make any difference to the functioning of IE.

I suppose the obvious advice would be to leave them alone but out of interest has anyone information on multiple version entries ?  The entries seem not to be ordered in a way which might be efficient for searches through the list.

Regards
    Tom 

Saturday, August 2, 2008 1:27 PM

Answers

• Every version of a program is seen as a separate program by the One Care firewall. There is no harm in leaving all of the entries but you can just delete them all then add the current version when it connects to the internet.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:12 PM

All replies

• Every version of a program is seen as a separate program by the One Care firewall. There is no harm in leaving all of the entries but you can just delete them all then add the current version when it connects to the internet.

Saturday, August 2, 2008 2:12 PM
  • Jim,

I deleted all 17 Internet Explorer entries but 12 of them immediately returned, 6 at version 6 and 6 at version 7.

Seems to me something is awry especially as when running version 7 with all Version 6 entries in the list blocked and Version 7 entries allowed I got a warning message to say IE had been blocked when connecting .  I have allowed al 12 entries now and IE is fine so it seems to fail safe.

Regards

Tom

Sunday, August 3, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Tom, I don't really have an answer for why older versions of Internet Explorer are appearing in the list of allowed programs. I also have a version 6 entry which if deleted re-appears if I launch IE7. I can verify this on several computers so I suspect this is normal but I have no idea why.

Sunday, August 3, 2008 7:45 PM
  • You may want to try the database reset tool or take the plunge and reinstall OneCare:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=4bc2594b-95ab-4235-b5b8-41656b38480f&DisplayLang=en

-steve

Wednesday, August 6, 2008 2:26 PM