Novice Questions RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Windows Vista 32-bit system, a Zune 4GB,  Windows Live Photo Gallery (with Live Sync enabled), and Windows Live Skydrive. I am writing a doctoral dissertation and am looking for a way to share files with my advisor without clogging email. I make multiple changes to files and documents related to my files. The syncing and remote desktop of Live Mesh sound like a great way to access my home files from campus. But, a few questions, if you please:
    Does Live Mesh also work with XP (the university's OS)?
    To invite people to share a file or folder, do the recieving computers have to also have the Mesh client software installed?
    Do people you invite to share files have to have a Windows ID or use Windows Messenger?
    Can Live Mesh sync music or video from a Zune? If so, how? If not, when?
    Does Live Mesh sync well with Skydrive? How?
    Can you sync/share individual files too, or just folders?
    If problems arise, can the Live Mesh client (or associated device syncs) be removed/uninstalled?
    Sorry if these questions sound silly, but I want to learn about this.
    SEE
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 9:53 PM

Answers

• Yes, Live Mesh works with XP.

I don't believe that someone would need to have Mesh installed for them to access their own Mesh Desktop.

Live Mesh is not connected to Skydrive (although it is something people ask for.)

Live Mesh sync's folders.

Yes, the client software can be removed.  Client machines can also be removed from the Mesh using the website (which prevents them from syncing.)

Rick
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:41 PM

All replies

• Yes, Live Mesh works with XP.

I don't believe that someone would need to have Mesh installed for them to access their own Mesh Desktop.

Live Mesh is not connected to Skydrive (although it is something people ask for.)

Live Mesh sync's folders.

Yes, the client software can be removed.  Client machines can also be removed from the Mesh using the website (which prevents them from syncing.)

Rick
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 12:41 PM
  • Hello, SEE.

Most of your questions were answered already by Rick.

I'll fill in.

Do people you invite to share files have to have a Windows ID or use Windows Messenger?

Yes, they need a LiveID, but they do not need to be using Messenger.
    They will need to sign up for a Live Mesh account at http://www.mesh.com
    They do not need to add any devices and can choose to only access the Mesh from the browser - Live Desktop. However, if they update a file that you are trying to keep in Sync, they must then upload that file to the Live Desktop after it has changed. if they have the client installed, the file can be synchronized automatically.

Can Live Mesh sync music or video from a Zune? If so, how? If not, when?

Yes and no. It is nothing more than a folder with files when you have your Zune library on the PC. You can make the Music/Video?etc. folders be Live Mesh folders and they will Sync. There is no client for the Zune, so we are talking Sync with the PC client.

Can you sync/share individual files too, or just folders?

You make folders into Live Mesh folders, that is add a folder to your Mesh. Subfolders come along for the ride. So, for example, if you make \Music into a Live Mesh folder, all files and folders within \Music will sync with your Mesh (within the limitations of storage space and a glitch that appears to limit you to 1,000 files in some cases). You cannot exclude folders from within the top level folder and you cannot add a subfolder of \Music as a different Live Mesh folder.

For the SkyDrive question, the Zune client question, and the files vs. folders question, check the suggestions FAQ for how to add one or vote on an existing one:

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:44 PM