deployment ? 3.0 to 4.0 multiple servers RRS feed

• Question

•  

Morning all,

Currently I'm running 3.0 professional for company (A) on 32 bit 2003 server w/ track email feature to my exchange email router is off...only allow tracking.

Here is what I plan to do. Company (B) which is basically another company within our group has no management systems, so I was thinking about deploying 4.0 for them. They have access to company A crm , but they need to operate under their own app now.

I want two seperate systems basically on the same internal lan. (reason being companies may actually part ways, so I'm thinking ahead to save myself the trouble)

Here is my plan,let me know if this sounds like it will fly? Install fresh CRM 4.0 for company B and Fresh install for company A (use redeployment tool from 3.0 to 4.0 for company A "just to be safe" and keep 3.0 around just in case)

set up internet facing deployment on each server (to give users internet access) config firewall to allow port redirect to whatever I name, dns the servers..etc.

also have both systems use the current exchange server to track emails to there corresponding company. Currently they both reside on the same email server, just different alias names.

.....so to sum up....two crm 4.0 servers (one for each company) on the same lan inside (different lan addresses obviously) use the same email server to track emails and configure IFD on each so users can access them via internet.

feel free to critique, share informations, bad idea on my part....etc. I'm open to all advice.

Thanks

CRM3.0Newbie

Monday, January 26, 2009 3:24 PM

Answers

•  

Yes that should work. But do consider these points:

1. If you have the CRM 4.0 Enterprise edition then you don't need two servers. You can install multiple CRM and separate organisations on the server.

2. If you use the IFD then the external DNS name for each installation has to be a specific name (based on the organisation name). You can't change this (at least not that I know how to).

3. You can definitely use a single E-mail router to manage e-mails for more than CRM organisation regardless of whether the CRM organisations are on one or more than one server.

4. The CRM 3.0 redeployment tool is not used to upgrade but only to move a CRM 3.0 database to a different Active Directory domain.

5. If you do a fresh install for company A then they will have none of their original data. If I understand what you want to do correctly, you will need to copy the company A database to the new server, install CRM 3.0 and connect to the existing database and then upgrade the CRM 3.0 on the new server to CRM 4.0.

Hope this is all of some help.

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:40 PM

All replies

•  

1. If you have the CRM 4.0 Enterprise edition then you don't need two servers. You can install multiple CRM and separate organisations on the server.

2. If you use the IFD then the external DNS name for each installation has to be a specific name (based on the organisation name). You can't change this (at least not that I know how to).

3. You can definitely use a single E-mail router to manage e-mails for more than CRM organisation regardless of whether the CRM organisations are on one or more than one server.

4. The CRM 3.0 redeployment tool is not used to upgrade but only to move a CRM 3.0 database to a different Active Directory domain.

5. If you do a fresh install for company A then they will have none of their original data. If I understand what you want to do correctly, you will need to copy the company A database to the new server, install CRM 3.0 and connect to the existing database and then upgrade the CRM 3.0 on the new server to CRM 4.0.

Monday, January 26, 2009 9:40 PM
  •  Feridun Kadir (MCT) wrote:

Yes all of this was very helpful actually. Very thankful. I have a few added ? to your statements down the list

1) Not familiar with Enterprise edition CRM.....(i'll research further) but if I understand I can create two totally seperate organizations on the same box? I'd assume the databases would be seperate yet on the same drive or can I totally Isolate the databases to different drives (using hot scsi 160 GB's)

2) ok that is fine....I want them to have different names....just wanted to see if I was crazy for thinking this way

3) excellent

4) didn't know that. my only reason was the whole upgrade thing on my production server going hay wire. I've heard horror stories.

5) you are correct. I'll just deal with the upgrade.

Thanks alot.

Monday, January 26, 2009 10:30 PM