none
Source Files Deleted RRS feed

• Question

• I tried using contribute mode on a large drive...and left it unattended.  When I came back, I found that quite a few GB of data from the source had not only been backed-up to an external drive...but they had been deleted from the source.  This isn't how the contribute mode is supposed to work, correct?  From what I understand, changes (new files, renames) on the left folder are supposed to be reflected in the right folder, however, deletes in the left folder do not occur in the right folder.

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:54 PM

All replies

• ...now to reinstall my whole OS.  SyncToy corrupted my entire system by this little stunt it pulled of cutting-and-pasting files.  Learned my lesson...never leave a backup program unattended the first time you use it.  And never include the "Windows", "Program Files", etc. in the backup list.....  At least not in this "contribute" mode...

So has no one else experienced SyncToy doing cut-and-paste of files from the left-to-right folders?  This definitely doesn't seem like something any backup program would include in any mode...  Even if I was, say, using this on a USB thumb drive...the whole point of the "conribute" mode seems to be that everything can be sycned one-way, then I can delete the files myself on the thumb drive to make room without that being reflected in the backup.  SyncToy should never delete files in the source (left) folders.

Saturday, May 29, 2010 4:00 PM
  • I stand corrected...it turns out the problem is with Lenovo.  I was installing a Bluetooth update around the time Synctoy was almost done backing everything up.  I know this now because I let it happen a second time...this time with SyncToy uninstalled.  Luckily, I kept the backup SyncToy did...and I caught the update at work earlier than last time.  It really deletes files fast... 

Here are two threads on it:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-Tablet-ThinkPad-Laptops/Bluetooth-with-Enhanced-Data-Rate-Software-II-for-Windows-7-6-2/m-p/236194/

http://lnv.lithium.com/t5/T61-and-prior-T-series-ThinkPad/Bluetooth-update-killed-my-Windows-7/td-p/226419

So thanks SyncToy for saving my computer!  Now back to recovering files.......  Hopefully Lenovo and Broadcomm get their act together and either take down that update, fix it, or put a giant warning that it my wipe your computer.  I consider a setup file from a major laptop manufacturer that wipes your hard drive to be rather disconcerting...

Saturday, June 5, 2010 7:34 AM