Errors Exist in Client Computer Backup Database RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All...

I have been having recurring client backup database corruption issues which I have been unable to get a handle on. Running WHS 2011 since RTM on a box (slightly upgraded) that had run WHS V1 also since RTM. 6 Client PCs - 5 Win7, 1 XP. Current Backup Database is 265.2 GB in size.

The corruption seems to always happen just after midnight on Saturday/Sunday, which would seem to point to the automatic "Database Cleanup Task", but although I have never seen the problem other than on a Sunday Morning, neither have I been able to "trigger" the problem by manually running the cleanup. I considered that the cleanup task may run while another backup-related task was in process, so I adjusted the times of the cleanup, consistancy check, server backup and client backup window to make sure there was time for each to complete before the next started. But the corruption problems continue.

Whenever the problem occurs, it prompts me to run the database repair tool which then destroys almost all the backups, including backups that were known good the day before (I have restored PCs several times, and never had a problem there). Restoring the backup database from the previous Server Backup always works, which would indicate that the backups were good up until the corruption occurred.

I originally suspected a drive problem, and ran chkdsk on all drives with no problems identified. I then tried moving the database folder to another physical drive and eventually replaced the drive with a new 1TB. Still, about 1-2 times a month I wake up Sunday to "Errors Exist in a Client Computer Backup"...

Can anyone point me to some logs or troubleshooting suggestions that I could use to get a handle on where the problem is occurring and how to avoid it.

Thanx in advance.

JohnBrown

Halifax, NS

Monday, November 14, 2011 11:27 PM

All replies

• 35 Views, and no suggestions? Hard to believe nobody has seen this or similar before, or has any suggestions for troubleshooting. Ken? Olaf?

Saturday, November 19, 2011 10:09 PM
  • Hi Halifax,

I am not sure if this is an option for you, but just today I deleted my entire Client Computer Backup database. While this made me very uneasy, I followed it up by running backups for all of my computers. The first one backup took forever, but I was surprised by how fast the next backups ran because they didn't have to back up the duplicate files. Here is a link to the document from Microsoft:

http://onlinehelp.microsoft.com/pt-pt/windowshomeserver2011/delete-client-backup-database-2.aspx

Regards,

Paul

Monday, November 21, 2011 3:20 AM
  • I'm experiencing this same issue.  I have logged the issue as a bug on Microsoft's connect.

Follow this link to see it: http://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/705892/errors-exist-in-client-computer-backup

You might want to chime in and see if they want your logs to diagnose.  From the sounds of it, it is a problem they know about and are researching...

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:55 PM