Hyperlapse Pro Encoding Problem with GoPro 3+ Black on Win 8.1 RRS feed

• Question

• When encoding a fairly standard video from a GoPro 3 Black at 1920x1080 with 29.97 fps, the output MP4 shows an encoding error. (Used default setting in Hyperlapse Pro of 1280x720, 8x, advanced smoothing.) I can share a screenshot showing the onset of the problem as requested where the scene starts transforming into jagged blocks. The problem then manifests itself as a black display with occasional specs of light. It recovers after 5 seconds or so. I've played the video under WMP and Quicktime to confirm the source MP4 is fine.<o:p></o:p>

Feel free to contact me directly if you want the source video for debugging.<o:p></o:p>

Sunday, May 24, 2015 9:38 PM

Answers

• It looks like you've encountered a rare, but known issue with the Advanced smoothing algorithm.  Occasionally Advanced smoothing fails to reconstruct the input video path, and the output becomes corrupted as you've seen.  I suggest that you try the Standard smoothing option for this video.

If you still want to use Advanced smoothing, you can try trimming the start of your video differently, which might remove the offending portion. You can also try chopping your video into smaller chunks, Hyperlapsing each piece separately, and then joining the results back together in a video editor.

• Marked as answer by Chris Buehler Friday, July 31, 2015 5:17 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 5:17 PM

All replies

• Thanks for this feedback. Could you share a screen-shot of the issue? From your description I'm not sure if this is a Hyperlapse processing bug or an encoder bug.

Sunday, May 24, 2015 11:58 PM
  • Sure - I'd be happy to do so, but I get an error stating that I cannot attach an image until my account is verified.

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 4:06 AM
  • Humm. I'm not sure what that error is. I can check with forum admins. In the meantime you could post the screenshot to dropbox, onedrive, imgur, etc and share a link.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:51 PM
  • Sorry for the delay. Hopefully I didn't lose your attention. Here's a still image near the start of the Hyperlapse MP4 where the video degrades. Ping me if you need either the source or output MP4's.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=16e88e797a7d3789!4615&authkey=!AFM8IvsleBHhrKg&ithint=folder%2cpng

Saturday, June 6, 2015 12:47 AM
  • I reprocessed the video mentioned above using the new version (1.1). Same problem - a portion of the Hyperlapse version degrades to 10 seconds of mostly black with color specs and some occasional geometric shapes before recovering, presumably at a keyframe. The original GoPro footage is fine, as confirmed with both the default video player on Win 8.1 and Quicktime. I also confirmed that the output Hyperlapse 1.1 version shows the failure in playback using both the default video player and Quicktime.

Here's the flawed portion:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=16e88e797a7d3789!4679&authkey=!AMTETviZY8leX1k&ithint=video%2cmp4

• Edited by pbetlem Saturday, June 27, 2015 3:50 PM typo
    Tuesday, June 23, 2015 4:32 AM
  • Hi pbetlem.

Can you also upload the origional clip to your onedrive. The resulting processed clip is franky trash anyway, no wonder you have black/blank frames. There are just way too many artefacts for this to be correct behaviour and something in your source clip is somehow unusual, I'm curious too.

I can then see if its the origional that is the problem or re-encode it and try again in case something in the actual stream that the Hyperlapse program does not like.

automation of testing the stuff dude

Sunday, July 5, 2015 7:17 AM
  • Happy to help. Its 3.2 gb so I'll share a link shortly.

Monday, July 20, 2015 3:39 AM
  • As requested.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=16E88E797A7D3789!4753&authkey=!AAmLwEk3OHrPvb4&ithint=video%2cMP4

I appreciate the time in looking into the issue. To the extent that you've got a copy of the MP4 referenced above, please let me know as I'd like to remove it to free up space.

Friday, July 24, 2015 8:59 PM
  • It looks like you've encountered a rare, but known issue with the Advanced smoothing algorithm.  Occasionally Advanced smoothing fails to reconstruct the input video path, and the output becomes corrupted as you've seen.  I suggest that you try the Standard smoothing option for this video.

If you still want to use Advanced smoothing, you can try trimming the start of your video differently, which might remove the offending portion. You can also try chopping your video into smaller chunks, Hyperlapsing each piece separately, and then joining the results back together in a video editor.

• Marked as answer by Chris Buehler Friday, July 31, 2015 5:17 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 5:17 PM
  • Thanks Chris. I appreciate the investigation and feedback. I'll consider the issue closed and will assume the bug will get fixed if the frequency increases.

--- Paul

Monday, August 3, 2015 11:42 PM