back up to sc101 RRS feed

• Question

• i went out and brought a network storage device i got the netgear sc101 but cant get onecare to recognise it

the drives both show up as H:and I but onecare seems to want a differnent path any one help with this. i put the full version on and it was the same so probably not a problem with the beta

Saturday, July 14, 2007 12:50 PM

Answers

• no i think becuase sc101 gives it drive letters onecare thinks it internal hard drive think am stuck until they implement another way to select backup drives but thanks for the response think once the years up will go else where many people have been asking for internal drives etc but just dont seem to be happening

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:31 PM

All replies

• If you open One Care Backup, add a network location, can you browse to your NAS device and select it?
    Saturday, July 14, 2007 1:21 PM
  • no i think becuase sc101 gives it drive letters onecare thinks it internal hard drive think am stuck until they implement another way to select backup drives but thanks for the response think once the years up will go else where many people have been asking for internal drives etc but just dont seem to be happening

Saturday, July 14, 2007 5:31 PM
  • I assume that the sc101 requires software on the local PC in order for it to be recognized? Perhaps if you *don't* install any Netgear software on the PC and install it to another PC on your network, you can then Share the mapped drives on that PC and then OneCare will backup to the network location which is a Share on another PC.

-steve

Sunday, July 15, 2007 1:36 AM
  • While it is another MicroSoft Work Around, the solution would be to allow back up to the SC101.  My problem is that when I backup the One Care wants to back up my 1/2 Terabyte of hard disk on my SC101 since it exists as a disk drive on the computer.  Putting it on another PC just slows the access to the drive instead of directly communicating with it via the wired network.

While I recognize that MicroSoft is trying to support the "dumb" user, (Perhaps a bad choice of words), that's great, but a second level of configuration for advanced users if you want to call us that.  Let me tell the program what drives I want to back up, or where I want the back up to go.  I have to pull the network plug out of the SC101 everytime I want to back up so it dosen't spend a hour deciding if anything on the 1/2 Terabyte needs to be backed up.

Like may others, I'm looking elsewere for what I need when my 3 subscriptions run out. 

This reminds me of "In Touch" comments I got from Microsoft support, when in 1999 they removed the support for GPS in their Streets program saying that no one used it.  Fortunately it was added in the 2000 version. 

Do you have a way to disable backup of certain drives on your system?  I can't find it.

Sunday, February 10, 2008 6:48 AM
  • You may want to look at this post for how to backup to an internal drive on the PC if the SC101 is seen as an internal drive - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2582583&SiteID=2

In the backup configuration, under File Types, select the Exclude Files and folders button and uncheck the locations you do not wish backed up.

-steve

Monday, February 11, 2008 2:10 AM
  • Has anyone actually gotten this to work?  I have been fighting this for weeks now with OneCare v2 (actual release - not the BETA) and while OneCare will happily allow this setup, it fails at about 2% complete with the following error:  "Backup cannot continue because the backup location is no longer available.  Make sure the device is connected and you have read/write permisisons for the backup folders on the device". 

Even without mapping the drive and just pointing OneCare directly to the shared folder seems to work alright at the setup stage, just fails at 2% complete.

Another share location with the exact same permissives on a local drive works fine, it seems to just not like the SC101.  Any ideas?  Microsoft's help desk has given me the run-around (re-installed one-care several times at their request) and now they have stopped answering my inquests.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:58 PM