Clicking and Chimes on my computer RRS feed

• Question

• Last night my computer started clicking. The clicking was quickly accompanied by chimes.
    I rebooted in the middle of this. After rebooting, the clicking and chimes returned.
    They lasted for about 1 minute. I ran a Live OneCare scan on my computer for viruses and spyware
    and the scan came back and said no virus or spyware found.
    I am still worried that I may have a virus.
    Does anyone know about this?
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:39 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare Anti-Virus)
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 5:49 PM

Answers

• If the problem returns, you may want to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

However, I do not think it is a virus. The sound of chimes when clicking or typing, and the clicks and keystrokes not being otherwise acted upon by the PC, would indicate that the buffer for handling interrupts for the keyboard/mouse is full and the chime would then be an alert to you that your action is being discarded. This can happen if the processor has been overly busy and you were clicking or typing ahead of the PC being able to act on the input.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• If the problem returns, you may want to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

However, I do not think it is a virus. The sound of chimes when clicking or typing, and the clicks and keystrokes not being otherwise acted upon by the PC, would indicate that the buffer for handling interrupts for the keyboard/mouse is full and the chime would then be an alert to you that your action is being discarded. This can happen if the processor has been overly busy and you were clicking or typing ahead of the PC being able to act on the input.

-steve

Thursday, March 26, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Thanks, Steve, I wasn't fully clear about what the problem was.
    This was more of a song that started playing over my speakers.
    I closed my browser window and it continued to play.
    That's why I was afraid it was a virus.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 10:51 PM
  • I downloaded a commercial book on tape last week and since then I've been having problems--turns out I have a virus or two. My spyware and anti-viral software are picking it up and moving it to the virus vault and say they're solving the problems, but they aren't. This morning my computer started clicking and it was driving me crazy. And then occassionally it sounded like I was playing a video, but nothing was there. Eventually I went to the Task Manager and checked the processes that were running, found one that didn't look quite right, googled it, and sure enough it was related to the virus. As soon as I ended the process, the clicking stopped! The process is tpszxyd.sys. I got a warning not to end the process but did it anyway and so far no ill effects--just silence, which is wonderful at this point. Still have to deal with that virus, though. Hope this helps, although if it does it means your computer has a virus. Good luck!
    Wednesday, April 1, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Thanks for that information, BarabaraD.

If you are in North America, you can call 866-727-2338 for help with virus and spyware infections. See http://www.microsoft.com/protect/support/default.mspx  for details.  For international information, see your local subsidiary Support site.

-steve

Thursday, April 2, 2009 12:22 PM