none
UNREAD filter functionality has changed (for the worse) in Forums 4.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Used to be (in previous versions), when using the UNREAD filter, and returning to the message list from a specific message using the browser BACK button, that the UNREAD filter properly updated status on the list, and the "just read" message was no longer listed in the UNREAD list -- behavior I rely upon to expedite my reading efforts.

In Forums 4.0, however, using the browser BACK button does not cause a page refresh (postback?), and the "just read" message is still in the list, making it impractical to keep track of the actual UNREAD messages.

Furthermore, using the Breadcrumbs to return to the message list actually disengages the UNREAD filter entirely, so this is not an acceptable option.

This wouldn't be an issue if the message interface actually had a link to "return to list" (which would honor the source URL of the message), but it doesn't have such a link.

I have determined that using <F5> or the browser Refresh button is a functional workaround to restore the original functionality, but this is terribly tedious, and will only require that-much-more-time to read/respond to the same number of messages, effectively making this new interface *slower* in terms of usability (and throughput) than the previous version.
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 4:42 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback. Thats a good suggestion to possibly use the Referrer for the breadcrumb so that clicking it will return you to your previous forum page/filter set.

One question, is there a reason you click into the thread to read it vs. using the expand/view feature on the thread list page? It seems like it would possibly suit what you are trying to do and if not maybe there are some improvements we can make to it. 
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:44 PM

All replies

• Thanks for the feedback. Thats a good suggestion to possibly use the Referrer for the breadcrumb so that clicking it will return you to your previous forum page/filter set.

One question, is there a reason you click into the thread to read it vs. using the expand/view feature on the thread list page? It seems like it would possibly suit what you are trying to do and if not maybe there are some improvements we can make to it. 
    Rob J, Forums Dev
    http://twitter.com/robjoh
    Saturday, March 28, 2009 11:44 PM
  • There is a reason I click into the thread to read/respond, but now I don't recall the exact reason. I did try the expand/view feature on the thread list page (once I found it, you must know it's not easily found), but there was some reason I immediately found it unsatisfactory for my needs. Perhaps, however, whatever that was has been remediated in the Forums 4.0 interface, as I can no longer identify an immediate deficiency. I'll revisit the use of the expand button as an alternative and see if I can rediscover my issue.

Unfortunately, that methodology does not address the issue with the UNREAD filter either, as it does not cause a page refresh or postback. (Perhaps, in fact, it was not refreshing the thread list that was the very reason I opted to drill into the thread -- as backing out of the thread did cause a page refresh in Forums 3.0.)
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP(x2), MCTS(x5), MCP(x7), MCBMSP
    Principal/CTO, Onsite Technology Solutions, Houston, Texas
    Microsoft MVP - Software Distribution (2005-2009)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 1:20 PM
  • In addition to the issue that Lawrence describes, I find that the "Unread" filter no longer filters out those threads where I have just replied, and am the last poster, even if I refresh using e.g. F5.

See e.g. this screenshot where I'm the last responder for all visible threads:
    Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:31 PM